First Time Build

Can't go wrong with the video card. Looks great. That RAM seems fine to me. Yes, most motherboards, especially the DFI one you have in mind support a stock of DDR400 but can be overclocked due to the RAM support (up to DDR600 if you are going with this: GeIL ONE Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) TCCD chips Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144341#DetailSpecs)

That OCZ one is fine too if you want 2GB RAM. SATA II is better because of native command queuing that helps to improve the performance and efficiency of SATA II drives. Normally commands will arrive at a disk to read or write from different locations on the disk, right? When commands are executed in the order they arrive, a great deal of mechanical lag is created when the read/write head is constantly being repositioned. SATA II drives will use an algorithm to determine the most efficient order to execute commands, which creates the least mechanical delay. In this way native command queuing will improve the performance of SATA II.

SATA II is just a faster version of SATA. SATA is 150 MB/sec transfer speed. SATA II is 300 MB/sec. They are backward and forward compatible. A SATA drive will work on a SATA II controller and and a SATA II drive will work on a SATA controller. You won't actually get a sustained 300 MB/s transfer rate, but very quick none the less. Altogether a better show, but still improving. The next version is slated to double the transfer rate again.

get the OCZ gold....it can overclock about the best out of memory from OCZ and according to OCZ its their "gamers memory" so it should be perfect for whatever you put it up to..........When you overclock memory try to buy DDR500 or something like that...all the computer will do is run it at lower speeds so when you try to overclock it isn't working as hard as DDR 400 would be because you still have some room to work with til you get max...then it starts to put more stress on the memory

Well I am going with a DFI board it says ddr400 max???? And I am ordering this all online from ncix.com and tigerdirect.ca for some other stuff.

EricM said:
But dont most mobos that are for AMD only support up to ddr400??

That's a good question. Yes, all AMD or I should say most support the max. DDR400 for super stability. However, due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly under standard, stock settings (the BIOS default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. For this, you will need to check out the manual or online info regarding your RAM and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

Here's an example I grabbed from Kingston's website on their high performance RAM:

"Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3. "

This is only an option to OC. If it fails to work, go back to stock settings and run on DDR400.

I am new to this stuff so I may not understand everything u are saying. So are u saying that u can use higher than ddr 400??

Absolutely, depending on what type of RAM you get. If you get the ValueRam (cheap stuff), you will run into stability problems or won't OC at all. Geil ONE, OCZ performance models, and I believe the Corsair XMS does a pretty good job of OCing to DDR500 or even DDR600!!! You may or may not see a performance increase but you'll probably see it in benchmarks. My RAM is not overclocked. The chances of problems occuring are high unless you get all the settings right in the BIOS, it will run great. I have no clue as to what to adjust, but Geil ONE's website tells you what voltages and latency you can work with.

Get this:

OCZ EB DDR PC-4000 2x1024MB Platinum Edition Dual Channel Kit
http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...00_2x1024mb_platinum_edition_dual_channel_kit

THis baby can overclock!!!
OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold VX
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4000_dual_channel_gold_vx

Same goes for this one:
Geil ONE BH PC3200 400MHz DDR
http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=69

I would want to get 2gb so I would probably go with the first one u listed...The OCZ gold series can overclock more but I wouldnt be doing much overclocking since I dont know what I would be doing. So if I got the PC 4000s it would work with the DFI mobo i would get which only supports up to ddr400???

Yes, absolutely. Actually, that OCZ PC4000 was tested on a DFI Ultra-D Nforce4 Motherboard using a AMD64 3700 San Diego Core CPU, lol. Can you believe that? Now you have reassurance that it will work.

Back
Top Bottom