does anybody know whats in store for opterons in the future?

tivaelydoc1

In Runtime
I was just wondering if they were going to update them, and how, because I can't find any info, so I was if anybody else knows.

Opterons are undergoing the same changes as the Athlon 64's are. Already running dual core, they will also have DDR2 support.

In the future, Opterons will use Socket F (1207 pins) while the Athlon 64 family uses the Socket M2 (940 pins).

alvino said:
In the future, Opterons will use Socket F (1207 pins) while the Athlon 64 family uses the Socket M2 (940 pins).

If you use more pins, doesn't that make the processor run faster because you have more pins the transfer whatever the power is called to the motherboard?

thats why the server platform Socket F will use 1207 pins. BEWARE, SOCKET M2 IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH S940 THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

While were on the topic of opterons, when it says 8-way, what exactly does that mean?

Well, I found out that it ment that you can put 8 processors on the motherboard and the cpu expansion, but I was wondering if they did any 3dmark 05 tests on 8 opteron 880 or 854 and 128gb or memory.

I was doing some more research and I found out that you connect the cpu board to the motherboard using a HT Edge card. Can you connect any motherboards using this?

Heres a link, just in case you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://tyan.com/products/html/m4881.html
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][size=-1] [/size][/font]

Back
Top Bottom