3.8 or Dual Core 3.2?

No matter when you buy a CPU, it is always going to be outdated soon enough. Technology progresses so fast you will never be able to keep up. Go with the AMD Athlon X2... way better then the Pentium D.

palladin the II said:
I really want to go Intel. HAving said that, do I go 3.8 GHZ with HT or do I go 3.2 GHZ with dual core processing? its drivin me nuts.....i mainly want to surf, download and listen to music, edit movies using the LATEST software and play strategy games (EEII, AOEIII).....

theres a 3.8 for intel?? i thought it only goes up to 3.6

Neither. AMD Athlon 64 X2 all the way. And that's not being biased against Intel. Intel's CPU's are just too hot, consume too much power, and don't give enough performance.

3800+ is quite price competitive.

I hate how everyone think cpus go obsolete so fast, if you buy top of the line cpu right now it will not be totally obosolete in 2 years.. same goes for ram... as for video cards.. thats another story.. Ofcourse there will always be better coming out. but not obsolete. It will take a while for amd and intel to get the duel core right.. as for now the best cpu I see on the market as far as cost/performance goes is the amd 3700+ amd san diego

Nah, the 3700+ is over-priced imo. Benchmarks I've seen show that the cheaper 3800+ performs better in most tasks.

I would say that the Athlon 64 3000+ Venice is the best CPU to buy right now, unless you need the extra performance, cause you can then upgrade to an X2 when software becomes optimized for dual-core CPU's.

"I see on the market as far as cost/performance goes is the amd 3700+ amd san diego"

Think again.....

3dmark05cpu3tr.gif

fpsper7fu.gif

pcmark05cpu8mc.gif

In a quote from extremetech....

"On the other hand, the Athlon 64 3700+, one notch below the 3700+ in price, looks to be the odd duck, and we'd recommend you avoid this one if possible."

Seems to be the CPU voted out :p

GreenOrion said:
I will go with a single core processor, seems like the only thing you do that might really benefit froma dual core is video editing, then you will have to be using software that really supports it, if you play games or use software that doesn't explicitly support dual core the other core of the CPU will just go idle or be used at below 30%. So 3.8GHz single core definately. Intel's hyper threading is another reason why you should go there as well.

If you go with that "thing", and you have a nice graphics card and motherboard with multiple hard drives.... Good luck finding a powerful power supply for when you want to hit 4GHz. That thing is gonna die in a HEARTBEAT.

Besides, dual core is waayyy better for gaming, because it uses TWO core CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom