3.8 or Dual Core 3.2?

palladin the II

Baseband Member
I really want to go Intel. HAving said that, do I go 3.8 GHZ with HT or do I go 3.2 GHZ with dual core processing? its drivin me nuts.....i mainly want to surf, download and listen to music, edit movies using the LATEST software and play strategy games (EEII, AOEIII).....

Well, I'm no computer engineer, but it seems to me like you have no need for a dual core processor, unless you have all those programs open at once (even then I'm not sure)

So, in my opinion, get the 3.8.

However, I'd wait awhile for someone who knows what they are talking about posts...

palladin the II said:
I really want to go Intel. HAving said that, do I go 3.8 GHZ with HT or do I go 3.2 GHZ with dual core processing? its drivin me nuts.....i mainly want to surf, download and listen to music, edit movies using the LATEST software and play strategy games (EEII, AOEIII).....

if i were you i would go with the 3.8ghz processor with HT because i have it
(sig), and it kicks ass because its like having two processors, just one is logical and the other is physical. its almost like a 6.0ghz clock speed but not really. i dont know how to explain it, just that becase its like haivng two processors, the computer divides the work up among them and they get the job done in half the time. so yeah that is what i think. and i if was in ur situation id definelty go with the 3.8

An Intel dual-core processor-based PC will enable new computing experiences as it delivers value by providing additional computing resources that expand the PC's capabilities in the form of higher throughput and simultaneous computing. Imagine that a dual-core processor is like a four-lane highway — it can handle up to twice as many cars as its two-lane predecessor without making each car drive twice as fast. Similarly, with an Intel dual-core processor-based PC, people can perform multiple tasks such as downloading music and gaming simultaneously.

Go Dual core...........processor speed is very decieving. Although the throughput won't be double with a DC processor it will be signifigently faster than a single core.
Check out the flash demo at the bottom...........
http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/dual-core/

BTW -
arrizx, your explanation is for dual core processors not hyperthreading technology.

my bad :) but also... i heard that all dual cores are going to be outdated next year due to the next generation of dual cores

palladin the II said:

I will go with a single core processor, seems like the only thing you do that might really benefit froma dual core is video editing, then you will have to be using software that really supports it, if you play games or use software that doesn't explicitly support dual core the other core of the CPU will just go idle or be used at below 30%. So 3.8GHz single core definately. Intel's hyper threading is another reason why you should go there as well.

Power computing users, multimedia entertainment enthusiasts and gamers who crave state-of-the-art performance for audio, video, digital design, and high-end gaming will find it with an Intel dual-core processor.

Pretty much speaks for itself.........

Get the dual core. They are the hottest thing in CPUs. In 2006, you will see dual core CPUs taking over all retail stores. New computer users will have new dual core system in their homes or on laptops. Although, they aren't clocked as high, they run tons more efficient which in sense, makes it faster. Most of us do a lot of multitasking anyways, so dual core users will see an advantage there. They are also great with games too, although single core CPU can do well too. By getting multicore CPU, you get the best of both worlds, multitasking and gaming. You'll be ready for next year when more apps and games are coded to take advantage of this great technology.

arrizx said:
my bad :) but also... i heard that all dual cores are going to be outdated next year due to the next generation of dual cores

Yeah, but then again, all CPU's this year will most likely get outdated. I just love to have one of the first dual cores availible from Intel. It may be crappy, but it's like owning a part of computer history when Inel first went into the consumer market

Anyway, to answer your question, I would get the dual core, because it'll be a new trend. It'll better help you multitask, and run say a scan while doing Photoshop. It'll save you time to.

Those Prescott cores aren't doing Intel justice. They can do so much better if they weren't so cocky and relaxed while AMD was playing catch up to them. Now, AMD is number one, lol.

Back
Top Bottom