Laptop Display Problem

EamonX1

Solid State Member
Dell Inspiron 4000. Five years old. Windows XP home edition O.S.
Having difficulty with display. The picture wobbles and is badly distorted. When I press the back of the display and manipulate it I can get the picture back – but this is getting harder and harder to do. I have replaced the display flex cable connector, but this makes do difference. The problem seems to be with the display itself. Obviously I need to replace it. But I am in Africa at the moment and cannot do so for some months. I have instructions for removing the Display Assembly, the Assembly Bezel, removing the LCD panel, etc. And have carried out all these operations successfully. But the problem remains. Is there anything further I can to to adjust or repair the display unit. What exactly is ‘inside' the unit and what might be causing my problem. I don't mind trying as I have the use of an alternative desktop monitor. Would be grateful for advice.

Well, I don't have much experience here, but I'm guessing that the panels that "sandwich" the liquid crystal are warped. Has it been exposed to high temperatures or any chemicals or anything like that? In any case, I'd imagine that the only way to fix it is to get a new LCD panel for it.

Send it back for repairs. It's obviously on it's way out and you might as well get it fixed.

I seem to have solved the problem. Using the 'Removing and Replacing Parts' Guide I took a serious look inside the display. I noticed one very small ribbon connector was a little loose. The clip seemed not to be operating properly. I disconnected it, cleaned the connection points, connected it and re-set the clip. Lo and behold it is working perfectly since.

Problem solved - Display now working right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to have solved the problem. Using the 'Removing and Replacing Parts' Guide I took a serious look inside the display. I noticed one very small ribbon connector was a little loose. The clip seemed not to be operating properly. I disconnected it, cleaned the connection points, connected it and re-set the clip. Lo and behold it is working perfectly since. Has been working now for 2 weeks, almost. As good as new. Thanks for help.

Back
Top Bottom