ok, I'm pi**ed and I need help...

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
my laptop broke 2 weeks ago, started running very slow and kept going on standby for no reason.

I re-formated, but the problem persisted.

So I rang the insurance company, who sent it to a repair shop.

A week later they rang me up saying that there was a problem with the processor and part of the motherboard, and that they will replace them.

another week later it arrived and guess what? it's still broke! fixed it my arse!
The exact same problems are.

I checked the service report and it says that the only thing they 'repaired', not fixed, were the CPU fans!

Also, I checked the laptop and it looks like they have used free software to test it like AVG (is that correct).

I am really pi**ed now...

EDIT: I've done some tests of my own using SiSoftware Sandra (CPU Arithmetic Benchmark) and it is telling me that my CPU, which is a 2.66Ghz P4, is running at:

Dhrystone ALU 713 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/isse2 195/354 MFLOPS

Compared to a P4 1.2Ghz (you can compare CPUs):

Dhrystone ALU 3148 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/isse2 876/1615 MFLOPS

And this is what a P4 2.66Ghz CPU should be running at:

Dhrystone ALU 6994 MIPS
Whetstone FPU/isse2 1946/3587 MFLOPS

I also ran a test on the clock speed at that has come back saying it is working at optimum speeds. So here is my theory:

The ALU is the part of the processor that does all the calculations, and the clock says when the ALU can do these calculations, right?

So, I think the clock is perfect but the ALU is broken.

This means that the clock is telling the ALU to do the instruction, but the ALU cannot do that many instructions cos it's broke.

That would explain the two tests.

Now, I'm no computer egineer, but I know that 713 Million instructions per second is crap, especially when it should be running at 6994 MIPS.

So, what do you think?

Am I right or just talking bollocks?

Re: ok, I'm pissed and I need help...

Anyone?

Where's Kage?

He knows his stuff.

To tell the truth, I don't know too much about the circuitary in a CPU, so that ALU stuff confused me I'm afraid.

Its pretty stupdi that they said they would replace the motherboard and CPU though and nothings been done. I'd ring them and tell them why they only replaced the fans. There should be a service number on there that would be recorded in a log book of some sort.

Re: ok, I'm p*ssed and I need help...

^^^^^

Sorry, I posted the topic when no members were online and so I needed to bump it to the top a couple of times.

Won't happen again I promise

It'd better not, & don't use that term, "annoyed" is preferable. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom