Phase Change Cooling

TreeHugger

In Runtime
I recently have a acquired a position at a company,which must remain anynomous, that allots a computer allowance. So I have taken advantage of this and built, if I may say, one hell of a machine. I have overclcoked my processor to 3.2ghz, but recently put it back down to 3.0ghz, because I was concerned I may be stressing the cpu. I have been considering phase change cooling for some time and my computer allowance will be able to cover 50% of the bill so I am wondering is it worth it?
I am told I will need to replace my Tai-Chi Thermaltake, because the case needs to be uni-bodied, w/o side vents etc. Does this mean a Lian-lian case, or is that of no use?

I have never dealt with phase change cooling before. It's got to be an overclocker's dream. How about getting temps down to -24 degrees Celsius?!?!? How incredible is that?

"For this section of the review, an AMD Athlon64 4000+ processor (stock speed 2.4GHz) and a DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR motherboard were used. It will be interesting to see just how well the Athlon64 4000+ will do with its 1MB of L2 cache....

The first overlocking snag came up at 2.88 GHz (240 MHz motherboard clock speed). The DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR system would randomly BSOD while loading Windows, so the CPU voltage was raised to 1.65V to stabilize it.

The overclocking continued until the system ran into some CPU stability problems at 2.96GHz, illustrated by the fact it could not finish a 1 million digit Super Pi test. To solve this, the CPU voltage was increased further still, to 1.75V.

Unfortunately, it seemed our Athlon64 4000+ test processor didn't like high voltages and it maxed out at a speed of 3.06 GHz (255 MHz motherboard speed). It's not the greatest overclock I've *ever seen* with a Prometeia Mach II GT, but we did reach our goal of at least 3 GHz.... and let me tell you, it's fast!

All the while this overclocking was going on, the idle temperatures were sitting at about balmy -24°C according to the BIOS."

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1793&page=1

Back
Top Bottom