wireless networking problem

Andy87

Baseband Member
i have an older p4 2.8 with xp desktop and just got a sony vaio with wireless well i got a linksys router and set it up and well, the laptop sees and connects to the network, however, will not connect to the internet. will not connect directly either, anyone have any suggestions?

You mean the laptop won't connect to the Internet even when it's directly wired physically into your cable modem?

As for it not being able to go online via the network, does your desktop have the Internet sharing settings set up correctly? Maybe your ISP doesn't allow you to share your connection like this, who is your ISP?

yes laptop will not connect, this is actually my girlfriends setup that im trying to figure out. she is using DSL through yahoo. she has a 2wire dsl modem, and actually i have gotten her friends laptop to connect to the internet through the 2wire wireless capabilities. yes i have checked internet sharing settings. i havent had time lately to fool around with it. but should have more time in about two weeks, just wanted some ideas to try and see if i can get it

more then likely the notebook is retaining the ip address of your girlfriends dsl network. when you connect to yours click start, run, type in ipconfig /release hit enter wait for results then ipconfig /renew
that should doit

make sure that the laptop is on the same workgroup because that could also be an issue if it cant connect to the internet or files on the other pc.

to check that they are both on the same work group, go to the lap top and the pc and right click on 'my computer'. click on properties then click the computer name tab.

Its shows you the full computer name and work group. The workgroups on both computers must be identical and the computer name must be different. to change these, jsut click the chnage button under that. once changed the computer usually requires a restart.

after you have done that make sure you have run the network wizard on both machines and it should work then.

nat =)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, we havent been able to work on it lately seeing as we both go to school and work full time; however, thanks for your guys help and ill let you know.

Back
Top Bottom