Utilizing extra resources on home network

adamswe

Beta member
I have four computers at home:
2 laptops, VIA C3 (1.2 ghz), 256 mb ram, 40 gb HDD.
1 desktop, P3 (800 mhz), 256 mb ram, 40 gb hdd
1 desktop, P4 (3.0 ghz), 1024 mb ram, 1 80 gb SATA HDD and 1 40 gb ide hdd.

they are all connected trough a dlink router (DI 704P). The desktops do not have monitors and my wife and I connect to them through realVNC remote desktop software. This is unfortunately a bit of a bother at times. I am considering moving the 40 gb hdd from the P3 to the P4 and only using that as a more hi end computer. I run audio programs on this machine. (CUBASE etc)

I was wondering if there is any way to utilize the memory and CPU power from all machines through the one machine. That way it would be possible to just run my audio programs locally on a laptop but using the other computers memory and CPU power.

This is one option I have been trying to find info on. Another is if it is possible to boot directly into the P4 without having to first boot up windows or linux. And pretty much just using the laptops screen as a screen to the P4. I would like to able to boot either windows or linux on the P4.

What are my options if any?

Thx for a quick reply!

adamswe said:
I was wondering if there is any way to utilize the memory and CPU power from all machines through the one machine. That way it would be possible to just run my audio programs locally on a laptop but using the other computers memory and CPU power.

I don't think that there is. And u could just buy the monitors for those desktop computers, u might find some used ones somewhere for really cheap. We have like about 15 15" crt monitors in our garage, so I'd think that someone else does have some extra ones too.

And even if u buy new ones they wont cost much, just get some cheap ones if u don't use them too much.

See... the thing is I bought the two laptops so my wife and wouldn't have to have two large CRT screens in our small loungroom. (Which we earlier had). Using RealVNC kinda works, so I guess I'll have to stick to that.

Any ideas about booting from a remote computer?

Thx!

Back
Top Bottom