ntldr missing

hangerstraight

Beta member
Hi

I wonder if somebody could help. I'm just building my first pc and am using a used hard drive from my other pc. I have reformatted it on this pc prior to fitting it in the new pc. However when the pc boots up it says 'ntldr missing. press control alt delete to restart'. I have tried booting straight to my windows xp installation disk and it gets so far to a screen which says ' if you wish to continue with xp installation press enter' + 2 other options i cant think of. At this stage though the keyboard goes dead and you cant choose any of the options available. Has anybody else experienced this problem. Could it be something to do with the reformatting of my hard drive. have i removed something i shouldnt have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its driving me insane!! :(

best regards

neal

hangerstraight
View Public Profile
Send a private message to hangerstraight
Send email to hangerstraight
Visit hangerstraight's homepage!
Find More Posts by hangerstraight
Add hangerstraight to Your Buddy List

Today, 13:05

try formatting the drive with the xp cd instead. when you insert the xp installation cd, and when it asks you to format, do a full format, not just a quickie format, then install windows and you should be alright.

NTLDR error messages:
No startup files (NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, & Boot.ini) located on startup disk.

Causes:
Booting to HD after format
Corrupt boot sector
Physical media damage

Installing XP:
Boot straight to CD, quick reformat, start new install (dont continue previous install)

Get the brand name of the drive and go to thier web site. Down load the diag program. Follow the instructions on making a floppy. Of course in this case you'll have to do that from another machine. Put the floppy you made in the new build and boot up. Select low level format and go have dinner. It takes a while. This recertifies the drive back to like when it was new. THEN do a full format using the xp cd. When the install tells you it's rebooting go to the bios and make the hard drive the first boot device. Leave the cd in the drive. When it's all done take the cd and put it away.
Oh yeah remember to go back and set the boot up devices in the right order. If you still get the ntldr errors then the drive is a flake. Warm up the check book and go shopping.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo STOPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you got a odd button on your keyboard that turns on a light, like the Num_Pad And Caps And Scroll, If you have another button, press it in, then press F8 Once itks done, goodluck

yeah i had this problem at freinds house u just gotta find a button that looks llike what cobra said hit that and then hit F8 on my friends keyboard it was a key that had a black circle round it with a f in the midle or sumin.

Back
Top Bottom