Temps

Tx3kgtman

Baseband Member
i just got a amd 64 3700+ and the temps seem kinda high.. on idle its usally 43C but i ran prime 95 and temps got all the way up to 66 and touched 67 for like a sec and droped back to 66. And the temps im reading are the cpus die temps? is this normal or is it runnin hot. I have it overclocked from 2.2 to 2.4 but droping it back down to 2.2 doesnt change the temps much mabye 1 degree 2 at the most.

also i have serveral fans... how should i aim them? i have a 120mm on the side, a 90 on the top, 2 in the back, and 2 in the front.

That is extremely hot for an Athlon 64 CPU. Their critical temps are 65 degrees Celsius. The side fan needs to blow into the case, back fans are used as exhaust, two front fans blow in, and the top blows out.

well amd's site said the max temp is 70 and thats why im asking... Then what do you think is the problem?

and what is the cpu die temp? ive did some research on it and it says that the die temp is the acuall core temp of the cpu. and it says that when using temp reading programs such as speedfan or cpucool the temps are anywhere from 10-14 degrees cooler.. is this true?

it came with a heatsink and fan and i removed the thermal compound that came with it and put some on myself. How much am i supposed to put on? i just spreaded it out so it had a thin evenly layer of it??

An Athlon 64 CPU have a heatspreader on there so you can't really see the die. Double check the temp from your BIOS and don't rely too much on the software. See if there's a significant difference in temp.

ok i just rebooted and set everything to stock.. not overclocked at all.. when i booted back up the bios said my temp was 42-44.. is this alright ??

It sounds like what you had before. It's all right. Better than having it at 66 degrees, lol. I've heard some people got that 3700+ to go up to 2.8GHz on stock cooling. Usually, the Athlon 64s run in their 30's, but I guess low to mid 40's will do with a 20 degree cushion for ciritical threshold.

Back
Top Bottom