Windows XP media center!!!!

boardordi3

Fully Optimized
Alright,
I have a custom built desktop computer that has misc. parts that i put in myself. My family recently bought a Sony Vio computer and I aquired the Media center software, and OS. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what exactly i need to be able to use my computer like a DV-R.
Enlighten Me!
Do i need a certain video card, or a capture card, do i need an infared remote, is there anywhere i can get a bundle for all of this.
basically i just need to know what i need (besides the OS) to make a media center PC that can be used for recording cable television.
:confused:
thanks so much in advance
Zach

Yes, you'd probably need a video card with an S-Video output. get at least a Geforce 4 or higher

TV Tuner card (media center supports two tuners) with FM is nice.
Good quality video card
Fast processor
Alot of storage space ( I have a 250 GB HD and 160 GB external HD and I'm sort of hurting for space already). Good quality video goobles up alot of space before you burn them to DVD's, if you so desire.

The remote is nice but not necessary. I just bought a Media center system and it's very nice but other software is available that will do the same thing as media Center (Nero Ultra 7.0 for example).

You don't really need high end quality video card, but something that won't become choppy at the middle of the show. A Geforce 5200FX or better is recommended

A fast Cpu...something like an AMD 1800+ or higher is better, not a 333MHZ Celeron

And, the thing you and I both need, the TV tuners and the FM tuner

Okay, Thanks for all the replys.

FYI: i have a NviDia Gforce 6600 GT, AMD 3000, and I was looking at the Realworld Digital Entertainment Center DEC-100 (from tigerdirect) tv tuner.
( sicuro is the maker)
A couple other questions to go along with that

So, if i buy the tv-Tuner, have media center, and a cable jack to plug into, do I need an antenna anyway? Because I thought i heard that you still need one.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

sk8ngame said:
So, if i buy the tv-Tuner, have media center, and a cable jack to plug into, do I need an antenna anyway? Because I thought i heard that you still need one.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

I assume you mean cable TV jack?
No antenna needed! :cool:

I haven't used the Media center OS yet! But I heard its cool for family use and entertainment. One of my friends installed it at her place the other week

A neighbor of mine is running 1GB of Corsair XMS RAM, an EVGA 6600GS , a 300GB SATA HD (Western Digi), and Win-TV from Hauppage (sp?). He loves it, I love it, and I'm building a mirror (but with more ram (4 sticks to 2GB), and a better graphics setup (7800GT). Don't think this is necessary though. His runs just fine.

I have my media center setup connected to my 43" DLP widescreen TV. Pretty impressive setup and awesome for watching movies direct from the hard drive.
If you like the movie you burn it to DVD if not zap it's gone! :D

The system is setup to automatically record any movies or TV programs you choose even when your machine is in sleep mode. The free live TV program guide is worth it all in itself!

Back
Top Bottom