Future Spec?

nah im not going ot get the 7800gt im guess im gonna get a 7800gtx 512 when it comes out and use my old 6800ultras and put it onto this pc. im just gonna save up a little more.

$4200 to spend on a PC?!?!? Holy mother of all PCs. Get an Athlon 64 FX57 with dual 7800GTX. You'll have the fastest PC in this forum.

how about get an opteron 175, some OCZ Gold VX PC-4000 UTT BH-5, a DFI LP SLI-DR Expert, two 7800GTX's, an Antec P-180, OCZ Powerstream 520 (SLI Edition). Everything else is up to you.

are opterons really good? as good as say a fx 57? because people always say they they good but its a server cpu

I'm with you on that question. I'm still curious as to why people would choose Opterons over an FX or a 4800+ X2 CPU. Spec for spec, they look exactly the same except for the X2 having dual cores.

cool 4400 post good job trd. and some of the opterons have dual cores but its like having a dual core 4800. im so confused. and isnt there a board where u can run two cpus? maybe i can run one opteron and one fx. that would be cool

4400 posts, already? Whew, time sure flies. If I didn't go to school and work, I could easily get like 10,000 by now. Yeah there are dual core Opterons but the only thing I can see from them are the 2MB L2 cache, that's it. Could that 2MB make that MUCH difference? I think I'll stick to my plan on Athlon 64 X2's. They are sizzling hot CPUs. The 4800+ is a very nice, all around CPU for gaming and multitasking. I would recommend that for those who can afford it.

For dual cores, there is a patch you have to download from Microsoft. Apparently, there is a bug with Windows XP that limits the performance of dual core. Once that patch is in place, you will see like a 15% boost in performance.

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=265494#post265494

Feircepc said:
are opterons really good? as good as say a fx 57? because people always say they they good but its a server cpu
to answer your question, opterons are never manufactured with 512KB cache. So you automatically get 1MB of cache even on the lower end opteron, and the price difference is worth it. It is a server cpu, but thats the whole point, they are manufactured on even more fine process because it is build to servers that need stability. Server cpus are number crunchers, you need to crunch numbers extremely fast, thus your memory controller needs to talk to your RAM much faster, thus having a more efficient memory controller and weilding higher OC's :D Hope this answers your questions.

Back
Top Bottom