Dell computers, are they really that bad?

Kage said:
Yeah, I was actually shocked when I played Halo on an oldish laptop. It actually runs rather good and doesn't look too bad at the default settings either that it was runnning on.
You know by any chance what video card that 4400 uses? I'd suspect onboard considering its DELL...

not sure what the original video card was, you could find it online, but i upgraded it to an ATI radeon (i think)

oh and also, my CD-RW drive failed at one point, but we were under warranty and got it replaced free. i think the technician said it was due to cat hair/dust or something like that but the new one works great

Ok dell's do suck. To an extent. Because they dont offer the options about upgrading. Well there are options, but not many, compared to doing it your self. Dell is a good brand overall, quality, but still there techsupport absolutly blows! Just because of that would'nt get a Dell. But yeah, if you dont have problems with ur computer, dell is good.

Dell's aren't that bad. They're underrated. They deserve more credit than they get.

The customer service may be difficult to understand, but their computers are getting better.

Yeah, i love mine, just wish i had a 3.4 p.4 but that was a shit load more cash then this 3.0 that i have.

dells are really cheap for wut they have. but its just the brand they choose for the parts and the quality arent too good. but if u want a budget computer i would suggest a dell.

p4 3.0
1 gig ddr 400 pc3200 ram
250 gig
(dont kno vid card)
and a 19 inch lcd display

all for $499.99

(its not my computer)

Dell PC? Bad? Hardly, Thats just smack talk from people who probably haven't used a Dell. They See the low prices on TV and instantly assume they're made of cheap hardware. My friend has an XPS system and I must say myself it is pretty fast, i can play Doom 3, Half Life 2, BF2 on it just fine. :D

Sure his XPS isn't bad at all. It's just slightly overpriced, and given the difference in dollars he could have had better for that price. Hell, my data server is a 5 year old Compaq off the shelf that just keeps moving along, but even new I'm not going to say that I could have not done better for the cost.

What happens when he wants to upgrade?

Stormin said:
Sure his XPS isn't bad at all. It's just slightly overpriced, and given the difference in dollars he could have had better for that price. Hell, my data server is a 5 year old Compaq off the shelf that just keeps moving along, but even new I'm not going to say that I could have not done better for the cost.

What happens when he wants to upgrade?

Easy. Plunk down your card. :D

But, aside from the price, his XPS system may not be upgraded for a few months or so.

For the majority of people out there, Dell's are rockin. I've used a number of my friends Dell computers and really they seem to perform quite well. There's definitely nothing to criticize immediately; however, if you're into upgrading, and overclocking, Dell just does not cut it. They really restrict upgrades and BIOS is not accessible. In a way I don't blame them for doing this because it keeps their market for selling more computers really good. The people that don't know about upgrading and overclocking obviously go for the "simple" Dell computers and therefore when they decide they do want to upgrade a lot, the only option they have is to buy another computer(more than likely another Dell).
For the average computer user, Dell is more than sufficient. But probably for most if not all of the people who use this forum and similar ones, Dell is crap. We all know that we would rather build a better one, save money, and have option to upgrade/overclock in the future which will save even more money.

Back
Top Bottom