neighbors internet

here_is_gone

In Runtime
I've been connecting to my neighbors internet (through a wireless USB adapter), since theirs is much faster than mine. How easy would it be for them to intercept any of my data?

I don't know about intecepting, but it will be quite easy to block u from using their internet.

If they haven't blocked u that probably means that they don't know what u are doing.

with a packet sniffer anyone can intercept your data, I'm going to assume that since you are connecting without them knowing that it's not an encrypted access point?

its an unsecured router, one of 2 or 3 i can access, and im assuming they arent very advanced computer users since they dont secure their routers

i dont even know which one of my neighbors connections it is (i live in an apartment; there are 10 wireless networks)

ok so im assuming whats making mine 6 times slower than my neighbors is security...if i disable security, does that just mean that someone else can use my internet, or does it make it easy for someone to hack into my computer?

here_is_gone said:
ok so im assuming whats making mine 6 times slower than my neighbors is security...if i disable security, does that just mean that someone else can use my internet, or does it make it easy for someone to hack into my computer?

Disabling your wireless network security options means that others can hijack your Internet connection, as they can connect to your wireless without needing authenticated.

But they won't be able to access your files unless you deliberately share them on your network.

malbuc87uk said:
Disabling your wireless network security options means that others can hijack your Internet connection, as they can connect to your wireless without needing authenticated.

But they won't be able to access your files unless you deliberately share them on your network.
actually they can access you files, there is this thing called a hacker... also i do not have security on my wireless, but i live in a fairly small town, if you live in a large town, i would still put security on.

Back
Top Bottom