Video, motherboard, PSU problems... Experts needed

ShadowMstr2

Beta member
Brace yourself.

Here's the story. About a week ago, I got an ASUS 7800 GTX from Newegg. I installed in into my equally-new DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR board. For the first two days, it ran perfectly - top-notch in every single thing I threw at it. I was quite pleased.

Then, after 5 minutes of on-time on the third day, my computer spontaneously shut off. I fiddled a bit, perplexed; I ended up determining it was the power supply. My blue system fan LEDs would come on for a split second, then nothing. I rushed out to get a new power supply, thinking mine must not have been up to par.

Tragically (yet not unpredictably), that didn't solve much. Instead, for whatever reason, my new PSU (Antec 450W) would allow my computer lights to come on (and stay on), but my display was not working. I got distressed and tried two other monitors. No luck. At this point, my computer is on but not displaying video.

So I chocked it up to a semi-DOA card. But then I checked it out on another system - the card was fine. Here's where I started to overhaul it.

I replaced the RAM and tested the other sticks I had. They worked perfectly.

I replaced the motherboard with an ASUS KN8 ultra. No luck: PC fans and hard drive spinnage, but no video. Now I'm pissed.

I replaced the processor. AMD 3000+ Venice core (OC'd) to a 3500+ (no OC). Still nothing.

I tried different IDE cables and separate hard drives to no avail. Didn't think it'd work, anyway.

What on earth is going on here? I am utterly stumped.

Did you have the proper cooling to over clock ur AMD 3000+? and from what to what did you over clock it (sorry i know nothing about AMD's)

dude i am stumped just like you, i have been working with computers since, i was like 5, and never heard of such, were your card that is not working and the card that you tried both AGP or both PCI, because if they are different, then it could be a bad port.

oh by the way welcome to the site, hope you have fun, if you need anything let us know.

I clocked my AMD's FSB about 30MHz higher (up from 200MHz to 230) and lowered the HT multiplier from 5.0x to 3.0x

My DFI had two PCI-Ex x16 slots. Neither one would work. My Abit's one PCI-E x16 doesn't work either.

Back
Top Bottom