Too many user accounts - can i delete?

toeknee

Baseband Member
Hi I am using a laptop and I am the only one who uses it, but still when I click C:/ documents and settings I get administrator, owner, my profile and all users. All contain the same thing and it isn't really a problem except when I run a virus/adaware scan etc or search for something it searches the files in my documents 4 seperate times (one for each account) and takes ages.

Is there any way I can just have one account?

thanks for any help

Tony

xox

I have the same problem on my Sony Vaio laptop and sure would be happy to find out how to at least get rid of All Users. I'm also the only one using it and my other PC with XP Home has my name as the owner, but the Laptop has just Owner and the rest. Is this common for different manufacturers to make this as a default type setup? What I did with the all user's subdirectories was to zip all the files and crossed my fingers - no problems yet..

go to control panel and then there is something like accounts. I don't know exactly what it is because I don't have an english version of win xp but u will find it. Then just delete them form there.

mammikoura said:
go to control panel and then there is something like accounts. I don't know exactly what it is because I don't have an english version of win xp but u will find it. Then just delete them form there.
Tried that and the only accounts I have are myself and guest - so no owner, or All users in that one. I tried to get rid of guest also, but it came back up.

ohh, I don't think u can delete those, I thought that u had multiple accounts like u have one for yourself and there is one for someone else that was using the and it was just there since that person didn't use the computer anymore.

But I don't really see any problem with those. I have my account, all users and default user (hidden folder). Ofcourse I use my account so I can't delete it but the other 2 use a total of under 30mb of hdd space so I don't see it as a problem. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to scan it and u should not run out of space just because they take up 30mb of ur hdd space. :p

But ofcourse if those files get big (like 2gb) then it might start to be a problem, but they are not going to get that big unless u start throwing crap (as in movies etc.) in there.

well my videos and my pictures are in there and I don't really want to move them as there isn't any point so yes the files are big and it does take a long time to scan them all 4 times when doing a scan.

Any other suggestion? If I hide them will the scanners pick them up?

Tone

do not just go into my computer then click on C, then click delete you can screw some crap up

toeknee said:
so there is no way to get rid of them?

thanks for all the help so far

Tone
My scanners, antivirus, antispam, and even my registry mechanice have 'exclusion' options - where you can tell them to exclude files i.e. *.vos, *.txt. *.jpg, *.avi, *.mp3, *.mpg, etc. This is what I did so that it will not take so long to scan file that have already been scanned. You can also zip those files and include *.zip in your exclusion list - but I would let them be scanned at least once to make sure they are not infected. Just a thought...Since my current 'baby' only has 80 GB storage space, I burn those files on CD or DVD.

Back
Top Bottom