Friend with Win98 needs help

chery

Baseband Member
I have WinXP Home and a friend of mine is having problems, see below:

Ok I did the maintenance steps, but when I went to play a game in the internet the blue screen came back up with this:

An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C000BACA in VXD VMN(O1) + OOOOACA. This was called from OO28:COOOBAB9 in VXD VMN (O1) + OOOOAAB9. It may be possible to continue normally.

* press any key to attempt to contiune
* press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restar your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

When I pressed any key, the screen came up with the same thingg. I have to press any key many times before anything will happen. What happens after is the puter restars itself and the scan disk come up because windows was not shut down right

If anyone has an idea of how I can help her, please let me know. Thanks for help in advance,

Chery

Possible fixes:

Scan your PC with any available antivirus/spyware remover

Disable Virtual memory. Reboot and set up a new Virtual memory size dependent on the size of her RAM. If under 1GB set it to 1.5x the size of her RAM. If she has 1GB or more, set it to 1GB.

Check for faulty RAM modules with memtest. (search Google for this utility).

Run Scandisk or a disk checking utility from the manufacturer of the hard disk.

Uninstall and re-install graphics drivers.

Make sure CPU and/or Northbridge chip on motherboard and/or graphics card isn't overheating. Use SpeedFan utility for this to check temps.

Make sure she has a decent firewall installed before she goes on the net. ZoneAlarm should do nicely.

Thanks for your help, and I will pass it on and cross my fingers. Have a good day!

Chery

Back
Top Bottom