Building a highend setup-What am I missing

Beowoulf

Solid State Member
I have decided to build myself a computer for the first time and although I'm a relative noob at this, I think I can figure it out and get some help along the way to do things right. I am putting together a rather high-end setup since I do not change machines too often and would like to be able to use it for 5-6 years before it becomes useless.

This machine will be mainly for gaming and photo and video editing. I was all set on the SLI route but have read quite a bit about the new ATI chipsets and cross-fire so it has me all confused as to which is the best route. I also hope to overclock things after I learn how to do it. Here is my current list.

Already purchased:

Lian-Li PC-V1200A Mid Tower Aluminum Extended ATX Case, USB 2.0, Firewire (Silver)

3.5” Lian-Li Aluminum Multi-Function Fan Controller with LCD Thermometer, Alarm, Time Display

2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) DDR (400) PC-3200 OCZ Dual Channel Platinum

OCZ PowerStream ATX 2.01/EPS SLI Ready w/Adjustable Power Rails & LED 520W PS

2xWestern Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (to be used in Raid 0)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Asus DVD-E616P3 16X DVD-ROM / 48X CD-ROM Drive with Quietrack and Asus DVD Software

To be purchased:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Plextor PX-716SA 16X Internal Serial ATA Dual Layer DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW Drive

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card

Logitech Z-2300 Speaker System

Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse

Microsoft Pro Media keyboard

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE NF4 SLIX16 S939 HT2000 DDR AUDIO GBLAN PCIEX16 (Waiting for release in mid November)

Asus N7800 GTX TOP

As far as I could determine there is only one cross-fire board out right now so I'm unsure if the ASUS I listed could be used with a ATI card and later used with cross-fire. I will also add at least a CPU heatsink and fan and will see how hot things run before adding anymore cooling devices but since I'm a noob I don't fell comfortable with water cooling at this time.

Any help or comments are highly appreciated.

Edit: Changed video card

The only thing you need is...LOTS OF LIGHTS :D

No, you don't have to but it doesn't half make the pc stand out. If it's not already in there, buy a little fan controller as well.

I hate Amd. I know everyone is going to like smite me for saying that. Its almost like if i said i hated firefox, but i like firefox. so yeah, ill still be smited for hating Amd. But yeah, i would say go intel. I personally like then better for gaming, the 840 processer is a really nice one, dual core and 3.2Ghz, id at least give that a look if i were you.

joxley1990 said:

No, you don't have to but it doesn't half make the pc stand out. If it's not already in there, buy a little fan controller as well.
Definitely :D :D

joxley1990 said:

I have the fan controller, see the second item. As for the lights, I thought about it but the case is closed without a clear panel so you wouldn't see the shiny lights anyway.

Since there are so few comments I'm not sure if I got everything right or you guys just don't want to tell me and would like me to find out when I attempt to build it. :p

wtf- why would u buy a case without lights? its like buying a car without an engine, it looks damn cool. i reccomend a window kit-they're like 15-20 bucks and look professional after u finish-there's also lots of shapes and sizes. with that fan controller, u could also control your lights(cold cathode, led, whatever).at lanpartys, youd be a straight P.I.M.P.

PEace

poodycat said:
wtf- why would u buy a case without lights? its like buying a car without an engine, it looks damn cool. i reccomend a window kit-they're like 15-20 bucks and look professional after u finish-there's also lots of shapes and sizes. with that fan controller, u could also control your lights(cold cathode, led, whatever).at lanpartys, youd be a straight P.I.M.P.

PEace

The 1200 doesn't have a window like the 1000 series or I would have done so but on the other hand at 43 I think it's highly unlikely I could pull off the pimp part.

Back
Top Bottom