hard drive problem

msett1

Solid State Member
Trying to install new Ultra ATA Seagate 160 HD. My current hard drive in dell xps is using some other cord other then ide. The manual says to make new drive slave and plug primary drive in with new ide cord. I cant plug new ide cord into primary drive as its has different plug in cord. so I set up new hard drive as slave and plugged ide cord from it to ide port on motherboard. Not working or really reconizing it. Any help please!!

Matt

well first of all....your main drive is an SATA drive, thus the different connector. Second, you need to format the new hard drive before windows will recognize it, if it came with a diisk, put that in and format it that way, or go to the device manager and you should be able to format it there.

The cord it came with is a IDE cord. See the manual says plug ide into motherboard. Then plug black cord connecter into master and grey into slave. But what do I do since I cant plug it into primary drive? Also should new drive setup as slave? I dont think its even reconizing it to format it.

Matt

msett said:
The cord it came with is a IDE cord. See the manual says plug ide into motherboard. Then plug black cord connecter into master and grey into slave. But what do I do since I cant plug it into primary drive? Also should new drive setup as slave? I dont think its even reconizing it to format it.

Matt

all you need to do is plug the IDE cable into your motherboard, then plug the black end into the slave drive (the new drive you just installed). since your primary drive is SATA, you need not mess with that, just take the cable and plug it into your new drive, then you will need to format it.

If you use Serial ATA, then you can't use IDE. It's wierd. Go buy a Serial ATA hard drive instead. It's faster and easy to setup.

Back
Top Bottom