Wacky Computer

jade1

Solid State Member
Computer's been acting a bit wacky lately.
Here are some symptoms:

1) I try to order at a website, I could not place multiple items in the cart. Each time I add one, the previous gets deleted.

2) I tried to log onto another site. Each time I get directed to my account page. When I go to another area, I am prompted for my user/pass. When I enter them I am directed to the account page again. This circle continues

3) I deleted my cookies, and Temp files, rebooted computer...Same result

4) I attempted system restore. Tried to go back 2 days when all worked.
Computer responds that restore filed. I cannot use system restore. I tried several diff dates.

5) I have a Maxtor external drive hooked up now. That shouldn't affect restore would it?

I only use it to back up music, photo files>

Any ideas, or what I should do/try?

I have Norton 2006, Spy sweeper, AdAware, and Spybot...
They located nothing.

Also, What browser are you using to connect with? Some websites may have trouble with for example Firefox or Opera, and only seem to work with Internet Explorer.

If you are using IE though, make sure you are using the latest version.

"5) I have a Maxtor external drive hooked up now. That shouldn't affect restore would it? "

No, it shouldn't affect it and since its only used for backup and doesn't contain the registry, etc, that won't be going back anywhere anyway when you do select System Restore.

What would prevent the restore?
I checked the control panel, the system restore IS NOT disabled.

Are you sure you have enough space set to it for it to automatically create times to go back? press Settings where you found the setting, and increase the amount a bit on all drives.

Sometimes it doesn't create them though, as it only seems to when you either install or delete a program which usually isn't that often.

Simply create one yourself using the System Restore in the System Tools every once in a while to make sure your protected from stupid mistakes like modifiying the registry.

Cleared my cookies, temp internet files etc.
Ran NORTON, SPYSWEEPER, SPYBOT, ADAwARE
rebooted computer

Tried the website again..Entered my login/password...Logged in okay, but as I try to move thru the site, the message asks me to insert my pass/log AGAIN!!

This goes around and around...Very Odd.

I tried my upstairs computer, and got thru no problem!!

I am also still unable to use system restore...I cannot revert back to a day when the comp was working normally.
There are other issues remaining, such as VERRRY LAGGY at times, hanging when attempting to shut down.

Some websites load slower than others.

I am using IE 6.0

I hate to think of it, but could it be time for a THOUROUGH CLEANING......As in wiping the hard drive and starting over??

I AM NOT GOOD at that, and in the past, when my son's comp got F'ed up, it cost 100.00 to get it cleaned, and have the OP system and files restored/loaded....

Does anyone usually go this route, WIPING the HD, at any given time!!
Is it like a check up for the computer, or is it a last resort?
Can I use a program to do this (wipe HD) is there an easy way??

DO I NEED TO DO THIS??

Thank you all fir the help, and the forthcoming replies..
I look forward to using your expertise to solve my problem.

Have a great weekend!!

well it could be a virus. Go to start -> run -> msconfig -> startup and then google for all of the processes. If there is some nasty stuff (like a virus) uncheck it. Then that program will not start the next time u boot windows. And I hope u installed tea timer with spybot because it always asks if u want to allow a program to add/delete itself from the startup. Because most likely the virus will try to add itself in there if u disable it.

And yes I do wipe my hdd sometimes. It's not hard at all, actually it's easier than checking ur email. :)
U just boot from the windows cd and then delete the existing partitions and make new one(s) and install windows on one of them. The instructions that it gives u are quite detailed.

Are you booting from the expernal, cause if you are, the system restore i think is going to restore the local disks, unless other wise told. uh, scan for virus, and such? could the hard drive be faulty? ever concdered reformatting? or down load hijack this, http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html?tag=lst-0-1 and then submit the log file here http://www.tech-forums.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=126 and then wait for a reply on that site, about what you need to do. the techs are very good on that site. or use this, and see what it says tho it is not completly accurate. http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/

Back
Top Bottom