What's the most hard drive space a computer can have?

tivaelydoc said:
Well, what's the max firewire hard drives and USB hard drives you can hook up?

I'd gues that u can hook up as many as u can fit in your slots. There is usually 2-5 usb ports (I think that today all of them are USB 2.0) and maybe like 2 firewire ports. But then u can buy things that give u more ports. Just like an extension cord (or what ever u call them) but with usb ports. Though in this case the speeds would drop since there would be many hdd's in one usb 2.0 port.

I still think if you your going to run ionto problems with drive letters. maybe you should get the internal HDD's all set up and then add external ones after.

tivaelydoc said:
Well, what's the max firewire hard drives and USB hard drives you can hook up?
FireWire = 63 devices
USB = 127 devices

Kage said:
Yet, quoted on a previous post, USB 2.0 was faster than Firewire

"USB 2.0 transfers at a max of 480 Mb/s. FireWire 400 transfers at 100, 200, or 400 Mb/s"
spank_fusion said:
Also, even though USB 2.0 is physically rated faster than FireWire 400, USB 2.0 still tends to run slower for some reason.

My suggestion would be forget the sata stuff. You're never going to go at the top rated speed anyway. My suggestion would be to get PCI exspansion cards. I have one in my system now that gives me room for 4 more HD's added to the 3 plus the optical drive off the mother board. Currently I'm running the optical drive a IDE channel 2 master while the Primary is running the C: drive. The other two drives are masters on the PCI card. Works great and it's faster than any firewire/usb setup. The card will run you about 35 US dollars at www.microcenter.com. It's a Belkin running the promise system on the card. Just a note to add. When I back up my drives to the storage drive, I have to fasten my seatbelt. I can move an entire 80gig drive to the storage drive in under 15 mins. Moving data through the pci channels is faster than any fire/usb setup.

Hey Seti, Nice to see you posting here again, and he seems to have a good idea too.

Hi kage. Just passing through Couple of posts caught my attention.

Some thing else about the pci setup is they can be set up as a raid system. But another thing to keep in mind if you run any of the hard drives off an aux power supply you have to common the ground rails together. Then you have to figure out how to make both PSU's come on together.

Back
Top Bottom