Unstable win 98 system

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
Here's the deal, I'm not sure how it happened but the OS just started acting up, first it won't let me open a jpeg picture file, when I try it comes up with "The Blue Screen" showing that you can press any key and wait for windows to recover or restart the sytem. I always have to restart. The second On some programs mainly games it won't load, it will go into the screen as if it were about to load but the screen would remain blank and I'd have to restart. i tried reinstalling windows right on top of it's self to maybe replace a few missing files or what ever may have gone wrong, but it only fixed one of the problems (not one of the ones listed above). I want to fix it w/o having to format and reinstall if I don't have to, because I have some programs I'd like to keep and I don't have an install cd for them. The computer is networked and the network works fine.
Thanks

With your system it might be a good idea to get WIndows 2000. The system requirements aren't as high as xp and you"ll get a MUCH MORE stable OS than Win 98.

Win98 causes the trouble. install Windows 2000 OR Windows XP

Never mind about Win ME

Right now I just traded out hdds and it works fine. It still has Win 98 but I don't have a Win 2000 or XP install disc now. I'll probably get an XP one later, then I can try to install it then.

Teencompwiz2 said:
I ran xp on a 200Mhz Pentium Pro and it worked just fine :)

I had a server like this, but I only had 64MB RAM. I needed more and I gave it away. It was a tour that could handle:

2 Dual P1 pro
512MB RAM Industry DIMM
SCSI controller
IDE controller

Model:

HP Vectra XU

Back
Top Bottom