Beeping, screeching sound

xTc

Baseband Member
awwwww man! some hardware problem is screwing up my computer. Well this is the problem. When i leave my computer on for liek an hour or so, then when i try to do something to my computer, such open a program, or do anything that uses processes, i hear a small screeching sound from my computer, and the speed noticably drops. I tried pin pionting the problem by trying to listen to wat is making the noise. It wasn't the HDD, but it comes from the area near the cpu. Im hoping itz not the cpu. oh, and i checked the cpu temp, and it reads im runnign at 33-36 celcius, which is pretty high for my usual 28-30 celcius. Any ideas on wat can eb wrong?

cheers.

Hmm, if something seems to be screeching and its coming from where the CPU is, since it has no moving parts, I can only really suggest that its the fan causing the problem ontop of the CPU.

It definietly won't be the temperature as that is very low.

I suggest you exchange that fan, and possibly the entire heatsink too with new ones, which should stop it making that sound. If you decide to change the heatsink too though, you'll have to get some new thermal compound to go ontop of the CPU to keep it cool.

Plus, it'll be safer too, because if that fan suddenly stops... your worries will be more than the screeching.

Some MOBO's(motherboards) have a warning for CPU fan failing. mine does. theres also one for my PSU fan and chipset fan. you can check if you have it on yours in your BIOS. it should under the power part. as Kage said it's most lickely your CPU FAN and you should get it changed ASAP! because if it goes it's going to let your CPU get really hot and burn out.

Yeah, mine has a warning too. I even tested it yesterday by slowing it down with my hand (Only for a second) and it had a sound you would recognise as something bad straight away, which is very good.

I didn't have to stop it that much for it to occur either, because a fan would probably start slowing down before breaking and stopping completly.

If the fan just stopped and the warning came on, your processor would be in danger of melting before you would have time to switch it off.

well i checked my bios, and somehow i cant find a feature for fan failure, but i dont think itz a fan failure corse if it is, shouldn't the noise be constrantly on? because the noise only gets loud when the computer's active and a tiny beeping noise when it idling and also the speed drops.

"because the noise only gets loud when the computer's active and a tiny beeping noise when it idling and also the speed drops."

Not good signs.
I'd get that fan replaced. Its the only thing it really can be.

DAMMIT!, well i change the cpu fan to a Zalman 7000B-AlCu LED, and the screeching from cpu still happens. So it's not the fan then. I think itz either the mobo or the cpu. DAMMIT!

Oh, now that is weird... At least your CPU will be cooler...

Are you sure you don't have a chipset fan on your motherboard that might be whining?

this beeping you are talking about, is it coming from the motherboard itself or your pc speakers? I have asus probe running on my pc all the time and it has fan monitoring, when a fan gets low, it has an audible alarm that comes over the speakers.
what cpu are you running?

na, it not coming from the speakers, it a small beep from the cpu area. Im running a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.6Ghz.

And im sure there is no fan on the mobo, i really doubt it is the fan, because the whining is not a constant pattern. When something loads, the screech beep stretches into like a long screech sound.

Back
Top Bottom