Computers and You: A Survey

theCSapprentice

Beta member
I'm conducting a survey for my ENG103 writing class. I was hoping I could find some volunteers to fill out this survey. If you do not wish to be quoted, please mention so, or if you would like your real name mentioned you may email me so I can include it if I use your comments. Also feel free to email your responses if you don't want others to see them. Just put "COMPUTERS AND YOU" as the subject so I know its from this survey. Finally, I know there are some open ended questions. If you don't wish to answer all of them, at least answer the first one! Thanks for your time and patience.

Note: I intend to close this survey in one week's time, so post now while you've got a chance!

Computers and You: A Survey

Contact Nathan Mitchell (finder00@mail.com) for questions or concerns.

Please rate each of the following as a -2 for Strongly Disagree up to a 2 for Strongly Agree. For example, 0 would be neutral.

1) I am comfortable with using a computer.
2) When I need to write a paper, I prefer the computer.
3) Completing common computer tasks is not a challenge.
4) I find my computer often giving strange errors that I don't know how to fix.
5) When there is a problem with my computer, I can fix it myself.
6) I find that the more I use my computer, the more I learn how it works.
7) Most of my software is open source.
8) I am often confused by the latest changes to my software.
9) When my software has an error, I try and fix it.
10) Others look to me when they have computer problems.

Please answer the following as completely as possible, avoid yes/no answers.

1) What operating system do you use, and why do you use it, and for how long have you used it?

2) What are the steps you take to fix a computer problem?

3) Have you ever used a different operating system? And if so, was the experience good, bad or about the same?

4) If you had to recommend an operating system to a person new to computers, which would you pick and why?

5) How do you think user friendly computers affect your ability to understand and correct errors which occur on them?

6) What are your impressions of the Linux operating system, if any?

Please rate each of the following as a -2 for Strongly Disagree up to a 2 for Strongly Agree. For example, 0 would be neutral.

1) I am comfortable with using a computer. 2
2) When I need to write a paper, I prefer the computer. 2
3) Completing common computer tasks is not a challenge. 2
4) I find my computer often giving strange errors that I don't know how to fix. -2
5) When there is a problem with my computer, I can fix it myself. 2
6) I find that the more I use my computer, the more I learn how it works. 2
7) Most of my software is open source. 0
8) I am often confused by the latest changes to my software. -2
9) When my software has an error, I try and fix it. 2
10) Others look to me when they have computer problems. 2

1) What operating system do you use, and why do you use it, and for how long have you used it?
-Windows XP Pro. Used it for a couple of years now and the reason why I choose to use this is simply due to the fact that it's the newest OS available and has high compatibility with most or all software. Probably the most STABLE OS of all time by Microsoft.

-Isolate what part of the PC is giving me problems. This troubleshooting step can get very long depending on the scenario. But the first statement sums it up.

3) Have you ever used a different operating system? And if so, was the experience good, bad or about the same?
-Yes, Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, Mac OS 8 and up. Windows 98SE crashed too much. Windows 2000 was just boring and had compatibility issues. Mac OS had compatiblity issues with all the programs I like to install on it, plus everything for a Mac was too darn expensive.

4) If you had to recommend an operating system to a person new to computers, which would you pick and why?
-Windows XP because of it's ease of use and worldwide compatiblity standards.

5) How do you think user friendly computers affect your ability to understand and correct errors which occur on them?
-Important

-Never used it before, although I have heard it is very, very stable. People highly recommend using Linux on servers because of this stability. They are much more affordable than Windows, but not a whole lot of software written for Linux. That's a down side.

1) I am comfortable with using a computer. (2)
2) When I need to write a paper, I prefer the computer. (2)
3) Completing common computer tasks is not a challenge. (1)
4) I find my computer often giving strange errors that I don't know how to fix.(0)
5) When there is a problem with my computer, I can fix it myself.(2)
6) I find that the more I use my computer, the more I learn how it works. (2)
7) Most of my software is open source. (0)
8) I am often confused by the latest changes to my software.(1)
9) When my software has an error, I try and fix it.(2) I Do.
10) Others look to me when they have computer problems. (2)

1) What operating system do you use, and why do you use it, and for how long have you used it? Win Xp, Because It works with no proplems, 1 Year.

2) What are the steps you take to fix a computer problem? Stupid Question (Dont Make Sence).

3) Have you ever used a different operating system? And if so, was the experience good, bad or about the same? Windows 2000, Great.

4) If you had to recommend an operating system to a person new to computers, which would you pick and why? Windows Xp, Because Its More To The Tec.

5) How do you think user friendly computers affect your ability to understand and correct errors which occur on them? Very Serious.

6) What are your impressions of the Linux operating system, if any? -

By: Ryan Cyr (Dishdog)

1) I am comfortable with using a computer.
2) When I need to write a paper, I prefer the computer.
3) Completing common computer tasks is not a challenge.
4) I find my computer often giving strange errors that I don't know how to fix.
5) When there is a problem with my computer, I can fix it myself.
6) I find that the more I use my computer, the more I learn how it works.
7) Most of my software is open source.
8) I am often confused by the latest changes to my software.
9) When my software has an error, I try and fix it.
10) Others look to me when they have computer problems.

I use windows XP Pro SP2, I use it because I find it has a really good graphic interface compared to other OS's (operating systems). Also it's a lot easier to install stuff because of its wizards. I have used Windows Pro Sp2 for 1 year but windows in general I have used for 9 years

For software:
Restart my computer> Undo the last thing I did > uninstall the program (if it wasn't the last thing I did)> reinstall the software> do a system restore > go to the developers site or google to try and find the answer > go to computerforums.org for help.
For hardware: find what part is not working correctly> check connections and power to device> uninstall the software for for(if any)> Reinstall software> Try and figure out if any other software or hardware could be causing the problem with this peice of hardware> go to computerforums.org for help.

I have used windows 95,98SE and the experience was good. I have used Linux FC4 (Fedora Core 4) and didn't like it because a simple task that could be done in windows took twice as long in Linux. Also I couldn't install any .exe files without doing extra work.

Windows XP Pro SP2 because it's the newest of the windows series and it has a large help index and with it's wizards (.exe) it makes installing things a breeze

Personally it doesn't help me because all of its trouble shooting help is common sense to me but for anyone not that familiar with computers it would be great help.

Didn't like it because for reason stated in 3). It was nice it was free though.

Back
Top Bottom