Fram Rates; Resolution...Not a video card thread.

Kage said:
60fps I would say is the best framerate you could possibly have in a game.

like I have said I like the fps to be atleast 60 in multiplayer fps games. Anything past that doesn't give u any big change, however if I turn my monitor refresh to 60 my eyes will explode :p

yeah, exactly :p Those lines are so annoying, huh?

EXPERIMENT:

I just wondered wheather it would be possible to conduct an experiment on the idea of fps.

TYRES/FANS

Now, we all know that car tyres/fans go faster than our desired eye speed since they appear to blur, and even start to appear to turn the other way because our eyes are missing out on frames.

I wouldn't be able to say exactly what fps the fans/tyres would be going at though.

MONITOR:

If a monitor could go to a certain fps rate, would we start seeing the lines coming back again as our eyes lose touch with the refresh rate, or even become to blur?

I must mention though, that you won't, I repeat won't notice a difference in fps in games if the games fps is going higher than your monitors HZ?

You know why? Because this is the maximum the monitors allowing. Its okay for the video card to be releasing frames faster, but your eyes won't see them.
This is why if you don't turn on Vertical Sync to force the card to draw frames at the monitors rate, you get something called banding, where the screens fast action parts can flicker.

WHAT I THINK I CAN SEE:

My monitor supports up to 75fps, and at this rate (I don't know if its the monitor acting strange) but the image tends to blur every few minutes for a couple of seconds, and it could be my eyes are starting to lose sync.

THE SAME WITH SOUND PRINCIPLE:

We already know we can hear about 20hz to 20,000hz in sound frequency, yet you see some speakers able to go below 20hz and higher than 20,000hz but why? Well, it creates a more clearer sound and clarity because you know the speakers are getting to those frequencies better, but maybe theres more to it.

Maybe its the same with monitors. Were losing focus with the framerate, but this is why we can not see the lines anymore, and so it becomes a smoother image the higher it gets?

Surely if our eyes could keep up with the framerate, we'd be seeing lines going across all the time because our eyes are keeping the fps the same?

I hope this helps.

yeah that does, thanks. but to clear things up basicly, any more FPs then 75 is useless because that is what my moniter is too. So because we cant see anything better then 75 FPS, its usless to get a card that gets 80+? And now that were on the topic, can you reccoment a good card that gets around 80FPS on highest settings, with games like counter strike source, area 51, and things of that nature. thanks. because i was lookin at things like the 6600gt, but im sure that they do better then 80 FPS and as discussed i dont need anything like that. just something 70-80FPS but for sure better then 60FPS thanks.

frame rates matter big time when u walk into a gas grenade. if u run 60fps on 800x600 then u would probably get 6-7 fps in a gas grenade. also u cant really see the difference, u can FEEL it. its the feeling. ....

abowlofrice said:
frame rates matter big time when u walk into a gas grenade. if u run 60fps on 800x600 then u would probably get 6-7 fps in a gas grenade. also u cant really see the difference, u can FEEL it. its the feeling. ....

if u have problems with smoke then turn the smoke quality to the lowest. Some games have this, some don't.

Yeah, but I must mention arrizx, that if you get a card that can get higher than 80 fps in games at full settings, this is very good!!! Do you know why?

Even if you can't see the extra fps your card is sending out, it means on newer games, your card might still be able to get higher than that amount, so its not, can you see it at the moment. Its, how long will you be able to see that high of an FPS for?

As for a card, on the latest games at high settings, your looking at a 6800Ultra, or even one of the new sets like 7800GT or the new ATI Radeon series.

If its just on games like CounterStrike though and such, a 6600GT would probably suffice, though to be safe, I'd go searching for a 6800GT or Ultra. I think one of those cards are your best bet :) Plus, they aren't that expensive now the new cards have arrived.

I hope this helps

so, i play mainly CS:s, i have Half life 2....(obviously) and i have been playing alot of area 51, but still CS:s is still my main game. i play guild wars, but anything can play that game. so i dont need a 7800GT that just sounds too expensive. Do you know off hand how much the 6800Ultra is, because i wanna stay under 200. And yeah i thought at that same thing last night: having a card that is faster then 80FPS, isnt useless, because you can just see smoother textures and such. But something i thought of and you failied to mention, i think on games like source, it can help internet lagg. because you are rendering the graphics at a faster speed, which in turn (i think) should help the lagg. DO you find this to be true?

Well like I said, it depends on your monitor res. If the game goes higher than your monitor res, you wouldn't be able to tell, and might even get banding where fast motion skips frames, but this is what Vertical Syncs for if that annoys you.

"having a card that is faster then 80FPS, isnt useless, because you can just see smoother textures and such"

Not really in that way, since if at high settings your getting more than 80fps or not, your going to get the smoother textures, etc since its on the highest setting.

"But something i thought of and you failied to mention, i think on games like source, it can help internet lagg. because you are rendering the graphics at a faster speed, which in turn (i think) should help the lagg. DO you find this to be true?"

Again, not really since its your Internet connection, but yes, if you get less than a certain FPS, your game wouldn't be smooth anyway, online or offline. Something like 30FPS would be fine for online games if your Internet was good enough to keep everything streaming okay.

Back
Top Bottom