Fram Rates; Resolution...Not a video card thread.

Half Evil

Golden Master
I have Cs:s and i was wonderin becase i can get around 60 FPS on 800x600, and i can get like 38FPS on 1280x960, does the FPS really mater, as long as my internet dosent lag, i dont see a difference in game play. So whats the deal with Frame Rate and how does it effect gameplay.

FPS= frames per second. That should tell u what's the deal with it.

So ofcourse the bigger the better, most ppl say that something like 30 is enough, but myself if I play multiplayer games I want it to be 60+. (in FPS games, others it doesn't really matter aslong as it's 25+) I don't really notice any big difference between 60 and 75. But it just depends on the person and the game, if u can't see any difference between 38 and 60 then I don't think that there is a need to go for the higher FPS. Usually 30-40 is enough, atleast for single player, but as I said I want it to be 60+ in multiplayer. Just so that it's even easier to own everybody. :)

A low FPS=game get's laggy. But aslong as u don't see any difference it shouldn't matter.

well, i play CS:s and its only multi player, so right now i only have the textures, and details on highest, and i can get like 38fps on 1280x960. but i cant play that on a map with like 18+ people on it. then i need to lower it to 800x600.

As long as you are happy with it running at 38fps, that is fine.

To tell the truth, 38fps should be smooth to the eyes anyway, and so as long as you are happy, whats the problem? :)

Its just basically how many frames at that detailed setting the card can throw out in a second, and 38fps is very good in my opinion for any new game at a high resoloution like that.

A TAD BIT MORE INFO:

I mean, you could get a new card, and at that resoloution, be getting 80fps+ but you probably wouldn't notice the difference from 60.
It'd just tell you that the card has alot more to offer for new games, where it'll be pushed harder still to its limits.

I mean, on really new cards, people re asked to put on Vertical Sync which stops the video card going any faster than the monitors refresh rate (Usually 60fps) at all times to stop the game going too fast.
Many games set a limit anyway.

Even in games? Usually, you'll find in games, the monitor will drop to 60hz as standard.

Though yes, Vetical Sync turned on would make the video card try to stay at 75fps

I don't get it.

I read somewhere that the maximum your eyes can see is around 24 FPS.

So why do games run at 30-60 FPS?

Lac3y said:
I don't get it.

I read somewhere that the maximum your eyes can see is around 24 FPS.

So why do games run at 30-60 FPS?

well either u don't remember correctly or then they are wrong!

a normal eye cam see way more than 24hrz. (I'd imagine that fps is the same thing since it's just about how fast the picture chages)

I can see differences even when the numbers go over 85. I'm not 100% sure since I can't test with monitor refreshing but I have my monitor in 85hrz and I can see it flickering all the time.

If u don't believe me turn ur screen refresh to 60hrz. Then turn it to the highest possible. See any difference?

This isn't true, as you can definietly see the difference.

We have had a thread up about this before, and it was concluded that the body works at 60hz, including the mind, so that would also include the eyes (60fps abouts), though I can tell when the monitor is set to 60hz, from 70hz (it hurts my eyes as I can see lines).

25fps is just the PAL equivilent for films (I can see slight none smoothness), and 29.7fps is the NTSC equivilent, and even at that small amount, there is a difference.

60fps I would say is the best framerate you could possibly have in a game.

Back
Top Bottom