Agp Vs. Pci

Jimbo246

Baseband Member
Hi, i have a PCI Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB vid card right now and i got a new mobo with an agp slot. It was on a really tight budget and tahts y i didnt go for PCI-E and i am happy with it so dont suggest PCI-E crap. I was wondering how much, if any, of an improvment will a AGP 8X card called "A" be compared to a PCI 1X card called "B". How many FPS gain on say a game like CS 1.6 do you think i would gain and wat kind of noticeable performance will it improve. If you dont think it will improve much i simply will jstu wait about a year untill i get a PCI-E mobo and card ect...... but in the mean time is it worth goin with "A" ?

(I dont want your opinion on the cards really unless you think it is important)
PCI= Xtacy Radeon 9200 SE 128MB 64 bit
AGP= MSI Radeon 9250 128MB DDR AGP (not sure wat bit..ppl cant decide?)

Thanx
p.s you think the AGP can play BF2 on low settings with a sempron 2500+ and 512 ram?

AGP has more bandwidth and is a good standard to set yourself on. I would suggest saving up more for a PCI-E motherboard and card. AGP is good, but it's getting slowly phased out by PCI-E, so you might as well.

AGP is alot faster than PCI 1x, and only old cards use that now.

AGP is alot better, and don't worry, I still have an AGP slot and I'll have mine for a while :)

Even though that second card is better though, the speed difference won't be that immence just because you've swapped slots since its the card mainly that has to power what gets sent to the slot, and its only 1 up.

It should be a bit more powerful though I'd think, but how powerful? I couldn't really say I'm afraid.

THE SECOND CARD:

The Second card, even though its not the same make (doesn't really matter), I have a link with a few things about it:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=10468&GroupID=27

Now, its a Direct X-8 card so with a game like BF2, on low settings, you'll be forced to run at the previous version (The new is Direct X-9) and so, you won't see any of the advanced effects expected, but this shouldn't be a problem.

CARD I'D ADVISE INSTEAD:

I advise you go for a card like this: (Remember, Link is only for showing purposes unless you live in the UK. Its a good store I think)

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=6738&GroupID=27

Its only a tad bit extra cash, supports Direct X-9, and also has 256Mb of Memory for textures in games, and will run BF2 better than the one you picked, and many more games also.

Trust me. With that card, you'll definietly notice a performance gain from your old card.

WAITING FOR A PCI-E:

Since that card doesn't cost that much, I'd go for it and thenn save up for PCI-E when you want. Its not exactly a thing you must go for. Its just that all new cards will use it.

Plus since you've just got hold of a new AGP board, theres no point throwing it in the bin. It'll b alright :p

both of those cards are going to suck at BF2. I'm just telling u how it is.

I'd either buy a decent agp card (6600GT is something like $150 and it will run BF2 quite well) and that will last until u get that pci-e mobo. This way there is no need to hurry with the pci since that card will be enough for some time. Also BF2 likes ram alot, so it would probably be smart to upgrade to atleast 1GB.

Or then u can stick with the card u have now and wait untill u can get that pci-e mobo. This would be better thinking about the future, but u would be throwing away ur new agp mobo which would be quite stupid since there are plenty of good agp cards.

I'd go with option 1 here, and if u can't afford any good card now then just wait a little while. $150 isn't that much so it shouldn't take too much from u to get ur hands on $150. Then u can get a decent vid card and it will last u some time. And u don't need to buy a new mobo, which will save u like $100.

Thanx. Im still goinna keep thinking about it and i know a guy that has a 6200 and said hell sell it to me for $55 CND. I think i may actually hold up and save my cash and then get a 6600GT for $190 with shipping on sale.

Just as a side note, it's just PCI. There's no 1x. Saying that just makes it easy to confuse it with PCIe x1. I thought that's what you were talking about at first. But yeah, an AGP video card would be a big improvement over a PCI video card.

Nice. I remember when I softmodded my 6800...unlocked the other pipelines and got 11k in 3DMark03 :D

haha, look what happend now? But anyways, go with a 6800 and mod the crap out of it. HAHA

Back
Top Bottom