Can't Enter Winxp Setup

livingdaylight

Baseband Member
I recenlty bought new hard drive (western digital WD2000JB, 200GB) when i bought it i formated it with windows xp sp2 cd and made 2 partitions C and D
fifty fifty size everything went fine but when i decided to reformat the drive with windows xp sp2 cd it wont let me in to the windows xp setup i hear cd loading but after the startup test screen i get black screen and system hangs up i tried another old hard drive i had and it went ok on that hard drive any of u guys know this problem??

My system specs:

mainbord: P6BAT A+ Mainboard
CPU:p3

u should format it by booting from the disk.
Then go to new installation and then delete the old partitions and make new ones.

"i tried another old hard drive i had and it went ok on that hard drive any of u guys know this problem??"

That cant be a good sign if it worked on the old drive but not your new one.

Any reason as to why you decided to reformat?
Problems for instance?

I cant enter windows xp setup start screen only thing i see is black screen after windows startup test/check screen what is th e problem??? other hard drive i tested worked fine with windows xp starup cd

You've said that...

I'm wondering if its the hard drive itself giving you problems, which might be causing the freezing, and will explain why a older hard drive worked.

I'd advise you get it replaced since you want to format it anyway.

Yeah, well, its not the hard drives make thats the problem. Thats just one faulty hard drive :(

Once you get it replaced, it'll work. My words on that :p

Exactly, yet a old hard drive will.
Surely thats a clue?

If its a SATA drive for instance though, make sure the drivers are installed correctly, which should be possible before Windows Setup starts, while its searching for hardware. It'll say something like "Press *certain button* if you need to install SATA drivers.

If you haven't done this and your drive is SATA, you've found the problem.

Back
Top Bottom