What's the most hard drive space a computer can have?

Kage said:
"i think u could store the entier internet with like 3ts."

Honestly? I don't think so :p Imagine all the PC's out there in the World Wide Web?

Its true though that your going to have problems with cooling... and not to mention the heightened risk of failing hard drives due to the fact you'll have so many of them.

I think dual Koolance Exos-2 should cool it down. As for the failing part, I'll probably set it up on RAID 5. Does anybody know anything about RAID 7? If I were to put external hard drives to the computer, can I put them on RAID with the internals?

mammikoura said:
u could get some 1 or 2 externals. They are going to be as good as internals for stuff like storing movies. And u can get ones which are 2TB so they are way bigger too.

better hope that he has high speed USB ports. because i beleive its 400-600 mb/s for high speen Usb, and 200mb/s for standard.

Firewire is a faster port dedicated mostly to digital video equipment for editing, but external hard drives can also use the fast transfers, which would make them as fast, or almost as fast as a standard drive.

"The IEEE-1394 High Performance Serial Bus. This standard supports data rates of 100/200/400 Megabits/second. It is used with high quality digital video such as the DV digital video standard and cameras."

USB 2.0 transfers at a max of 480 Mb/s. FireWire 400 transfers at 100, 200, or 400 Mb/s. There is a FireWire 800 that supposedly runs at 786 Mb/s, but it has just been developed, so it's not very popular yet. Also, even though USB 2.0 is physically rated faster than FireWire 400, USB 2.0 still tends to run slower for some reason.

Weird. In that case then, why don't digital cameras use USB 2.0? Surely more people have that, than Firewire anyway?

oh...then again though, its to make it compatable with Macs too...unless they do have USB.

Macs have USB. FireWire is more the standard on digital video recorders due to its faster speed. Many digital cameras have the USB connection too (like mine).

spank_fusion said:
Macs have USB. FireWire is more the standard on digital video recorders due to its faster speed

Yet, quoted on a previous post, USB 2.0 was faster than Firewire

"USB 2.0 transfers at a max of 480 Mb/s. FireWire 400 transfers at 100, 200, or 400 Mb/s"

Back
Top Bottom