Help with gfx card and ram

Feircepc

Daemon Poster
ok im going to get a new vid card for my pc im gonna keep at school. i have an amd athlon 64 3400 and i want a good vid card that wont bottle neck either ways. i only have one agp 8x slot left.so i was thinking a 6200 or maybe a 6600gt wasnt sure. and also i want to get some more ram. i have one 512 pc3200. so should i get one more stick to make it 1gig or get two of the same like dual channel? and wat ram should i get. if u can list the price and company name and some specs. thanks i appreciate it. :)

For the graphics card, this is a good one:

BFG Tech BFGR6600GTOC Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143027

RAM, get two new sticks and put it in dual channel mode. Use the spare RAM you have now for testing or spare parts:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145523

You'll have a pretty darn good system with those. I was thinking of giving you some DDR500 RAMs but I don't know if you can OC your BIOS to do that. The DDR400 for this one is pretty good with low latency.

That one's good too, just isn't clocked as high as the BFG one, but you can do that with coolbits anyways. You must have at least a 350watt power supply to use those video cards. So you may have to buy a new power supply or get a lower model video card. 250 watts is really, really low. I would upgrade the power supply first.

yea i was just wondering. i am going to get a 520watt. or i might just get a 600 wat since im gonna hve cathodes and watercooling.

lol no this is just for school. and playing games occasionally(lol maybe a little more) but i already have a gaming pc and cant afford to spend any mroe money because im gonna upgrade to the fx 60 and the new 7800s. so if u got anymore advice throw it my way.

lol im going to have a dangerden watercooling and some other stuff. and im probaly going to add another hd.

What's your complete specs for the future build? Are you sure you need water cooling? I feel it is necessary to do that if you have a very high OC rate for CPU and GPU, if that's what you plan on doing. Otherwise, water cooling is sort of a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom