What's the most hard drive space a computer can have?

tivaelydoc1

In Runtime
Well, I found a RAID card that'll support 16 SATA II and a mother board that'll support 8 more, which is a total of 24. And if a get dual Lian towers with 12 3.5" bays, I can put them all in there, along with a 700 watt power in both. If you wondering why I need all this, it's for video editing, making songs, recording music and movies from my tv to my computer, and for hosting. I priced it all out on newegg and it came out to 15k. Now, if I get all 500gb hard drives, will the computer support up to 12 Terrabytes or do I need something else?

u could get some 1 or 2 externals. They are going to be as good as internals for stuff like storing movies. And u can get ones which are 2TB so they are way bigger too.

tivaelydoc said:
Well, I found a RAID card that'll support 16 SATA II and a mother board that'll support 8 more, which is a total of 24. And if a get dual Lian towers with 12 3.5" bays, I can put them all in there, along with a 700 watt power in both. If you wondering why I need all this, it's for video editing, making songs, recording music and movies from my tv to my computer, and for hosting. I priced it all out on newegg and it came out to 15k. Now, if I get all 500gb hard drives, will the computer support up to 12 Terrabytes or do I need something else?

WOW,lol. I don't think that any of us can say for 100% sure it would work because i don't think anybody here was that much HDD space,lol. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work though. hardware wise it should be fine the problem that i could see happening is windows not being able to read that many becuase of not enough letters to asign to them. Is the second tower going to be a full sytem(with it's own windows) or just for holding the HDD's?

Have you checked out any servers? It sounds like a server-type platform would be better for your situation. They are designed to hold numerous hard drives for massive amounts of data.

As for drive letters - I'm not sure how Windows would handle that. I'm assuming you'll at least have a CD and/or DVD drive and possibly a floppy, so you could easily have more drives than letters.... If you do that, post how that works out. I'm quite curious.

Yea, the second tower is all for hard drive and one power supply. If you set it up on RAID, will it assign all the HDD's to one drive?

Hmm, thats a definite possibility actually, though I couldn't be 100% sure.

:eek: lol uhh dont think ull ever need 12ts. i think u could store the entier internet with like 3ts. but u can find a mobo to support all those hds? and its gonna be kinda hard to keep tems inside ur pc cool.

"i think u could store the entier internet with like 3ts."

Honestly? I don't think so :p Imagine all the PC's out there in the World Wide Web?

Its true though that your going to have problems with cooling... and not to mention the heightened risk of failing hard drives due to the fact you'll have so many of them.

xx cobra xx said:
i think your talking about to much, there is no point

the question wasn't is there a point, it was can it be done. if you don't have anything to add/answer to the question don't post.

Back
Top Bottom