Second HDD

Vandiyan

In Runtime
I have been trying for a while to install a second HDD into my PC for music and some other misc. files. I have been having a lot of trouble doing this. The HDD that I have in there right now is a 250GB Serial ATA drive. I am trying to install a 40GB hard drive that is a different interface I do believe. The one that is installed already is connected with a small thin connector and the one I am trying to install uses one of the wide type of connectors. Sorry for being an idiot and not knowing the specific terms. I looked at the HDD that I have installed now and there is not a jumper on it at all. When I go to install the new one I set the jumper to what I believe is slave and the system will not boot. A black screen comes up and says to insert boot media or boot drive. Now I have been told that there have been some problems when trying to install two different type of HDD into one system but have been unable to locate a solution. Below is how my BIOS is listed.

Primary IDE Master=CD-RW Drive
Primary IDE Slave=DVD-RW Drive
Secondary IDE Master=Not Detected
Secondary IDE Slave=Not Detected
Third IDE Master=250GB HDD

Any help any of you could provide would be a huge help. Thanks!!!

maybe try putting the two cd drives on the secondary ide channel then put the hard drive on the primary ide channel as slave? can't hurt to try

Ok I did that and after changing my BIOS a little I got the PC to boot. Woot. Now the only problem is when I go into "My Computer" I can not see the other HDD. When I booted for the first time I got a little pop up stating that it recognized new hardware. I have even went into Add Remove New Hardware and can see the HDD there. Is there something else I need to do now?

try going to start/control panel/adminastrive tools/computer managment/storage/disk managment, then see what it rewcognises there.
woz

Just in case, be sure to also have the jumpers on the IDE drives (both cd-roms and 40 gb) set to master or slave according to their position. Formatting as Tommy Boy said definitely needs to be done once you're connected and booted up.

Ok I went into the admin tools and went into disk management and and can see the drive there also. It is saying not intitialized. How do I fortmat the drive if I can not get to it?

/edit I initialized it but it is still not giving me an option to format it. It says it is unallocated. When I left click on my regular HDD it gives me an option to format but not for the new one. Also the new drive is listed as me 0 drive and my regular hard drive is listed as my 1 drive. What exactly does this mean.

Vandiyan said:
When I left click on my regular HDD it gives me an option to format but not for the new one.

Right-click (not left-click) on the unallocated area (black) and it should give you the option to format.

Back
Top Bottom