why get 2 video cards

jac006 said:
Atually, the x1800xl oc'ed can beat two 7800gtx's in sli. 512mb is not really being used right now. Until game developers can really utilize that much memory, 256mb stays.

I've heard ppl talking about this but yet I have never seen a benchmark (preferably something u can call reliable) that shows this. Also if this is true I am wondering why is futuremarks top 10 in 3dmark05 completely made out of dual 7800GTX's? Crossfire mobo has been released, and if those cards oc as well as u say then there shouldn't be any problems in them going over 20k in 3dmark05.

Perhaps they haven't updated their database yet. But in that other thread with all those benches, it's looking bad for nvidia. If a single x1000 series video card can do that much damage, imagine two of them in action. I don't know, but are the x1800xt capable of dual GPU (Crossfire or whatever you call it) support like nvidia's SLi?

mammikoura said:
I've heard ppl talking about this but yet I have never seen a benchmark (preferably something u can call reliable) that shows this. Also if this is true I am wondering why is futuremarks top 10 in 3dmark05 completely made out of dual 7800GTX's? Crossfire mobo has been released, and if those cards oc as well as u say then there shouldn't be any problems in them going over 20k in 3dmark05.

Finnish overclocker Maki overclocked a X1800 XT from the default 625MHz core/1500MHz memory to 877.5mhz core and 1980mhz memory. It scored 12278 3DMarks and it most notably beats TWO stock 7800 GTX's in SLI.

maki.jpg

The top 10 3DMarks from Futuremark is all nVIDIA because the 7800 GTX is out and in mass production. The X1800 XT isn't. It's scheduled to release November 5, 2005.

DFI has released the RD480 chipset CrossFire motherboard (for a hefty $199), but the only CrossFire Edtion card that's out is the X850 XT PE CrossFire Edition.

The X1800 XT just owns when overclocked. It also completely kills the 7800 GTX when you turn on all the eye-candy, such as Anti-Aliasing and Antistropic Filtering.

In my opinion, using two cards is a waste of money (whether through SLI or CrossFire). Why? Because after a while, those cards will be old and somewhat obsolete and you'll have to spend MORE on another pair (this is especially true with SLI). Becides, a single X1800 XT and 7800 GTX is more than enough to play the latest games on max settings.

Thank you alvino. I was looking for that... lol... you had said that earlier but I forgot where. I had some links in my mind but none were what I was looking for... yeah... lol... I can't wait to get one...

The way i think of it is this:

One card on its own will draw full frames by itself, as fast as it can send out with the Vertical Sync not applied.

Two cards will make that one card only draw half a frame by itself (making that powerful card only do half the work it did before, so all of its power can go into that half a frame). The other one can then focus on the bottom half, to finish the picture, to produce the frame about 2x faster (I say about, because its not always the case, depending on what each card has to draw on screen)

There are also other settings, like getting one card to do one whole frame, and the other to do the next whole frame so 2 are ready, but its the same principle.

WHAT THAT MEANS:

Well, you asked will it make graphics better. Well no, not in that sense. They'll only ever be as good as programmers intended, thugh, you might be able to put setting on higher than using one card, so you'll get better graphics and frame rates from doing that.

one 7800GTX is more than enough for todays games though, but in the next year or so, two will be more than welcome in todays games as graphics are shoved that little bit higher :p

Back
Top Bottom