Which Processor? - Interesting...

amanat69

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

System specs at present: 2.93 GHz P4 , Gigabyte 6800GT, 2 x 512 standard RAM (400mhz), 160gb hard disk, 775 mobo.

I am thinking of upgrading my processor and adding in another gig of RAM. People are telling me that the thing to get is a AMD 3500+, but, they also say that in 6 months it will just be the 'norm'. Therefore, I have heard talk about getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache. People say that this will last me a good few years, and as I am a gamer, it will last for games that come out for at least, the next two years. Is this true?

Also, is it worth the money if I have it? And will I see a huge improvement?

Lastly, anyone know a good motherboard I can get to be compatible with my specs and this processor?

I would really appreciate it if someone answered these questions :D.

Many thanks,

Amanat, 19/M/Uk

Unless you play really demanding games, I believe that an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice will be fine for you. You'll still be able to upgrade to the X2 this way, and will save yourself some money.

The MSI K8N Neo4-F is a good but cheap nForce4-based motherboard.

I will go instead towards a 3800+ or 4000+ singel core with athlon64, higher clock ratee, most games out to date still uses mostly single core, the other core just sits idle. maybe wait a little for the DDR2 controllers to arrive for AMD

GreenOrion said:
I will go instead towards a 3800+ or 4000+ singel core with athlon64, higher clock ratee, most games out to date still uses mostly single core, the other core just sits idle. maybe wait a little for the DDR2 controllers to arrive for AMD

I wouldnt get a 3800. It costs more then a 3700 and it only has the 512kb l2 cache. I would personally just go with the x2 3800. It isnt that expensive but it still performs great.

nah, i would go with a Opteron 175 (dual core) or a 146 Opteron (single core)

I've not heard good reviews of the Opteron in gaming.

Just go for any socket-939 Athlon 64, basically.

Get a 3800 over a 3700, cause benchmarks show added cache loses out to the increased clock.

how about get the 3700+ and oc it like 200mhz? Its not THAT hard now is it?

Personally, I don't believe in overclocking. It puts more demands on you, and really isn't neccessary if system performance is fine.

I say go with a 3800+. You can find benchmarks on www.xbitlabs.com or www.anandtech.com which show that the 1MB L2 Cache isn't really worth it.

if you dont belive in ocing, then its your loss. you can spend more money on a processor while i can save more and spend it on some other stuff.

amanat69 said:
Hi everyone,

System specs at present: 2.93 GHz P4 , Gigabyte 6800GT, 2 x 512 standard RAM (400mhz), 160gb hard disk, 775 mobo.

I am thinking of upgrading my processor and adding in another gig of RAM. People are telling me that the thing to get is a AMD 3500+, but, they also say that in 6 months it will just be the 'norm'. Therefore, I have heard talk about getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache. People say that this will last me a good few years, and as I am a gamer, it will last for games that come out for at least, the next two years. Is this true?

Also, is it worth the money if I have it? And will I see a huge improvement?

Lastly, anyone know a good motherboard I can get to be compatible with my specs and this processor?

I would really appreciate it if someone answered these questions :D.

Many thanks,

Amanat, 19/M/Uk

Oh my god, let me tell you that you will notice a difference if you get the new Athlon 64 X2 Toledo 4400+ from your current P4. Please do the upgrade. You can use the video card you have now and your RAM. YOu say it's a DDR400? It will fit. Your PCI-e video card will be just fine too. Here's a motherboard I recommend:

ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127222

It's a simple motherboard that will get the job done with that X2 CPU.

Back
Top Bottom