Possible threat to Spybot users

Kage

Golden Master
Hey,

I have just figured out something with spybot, and I wouldn't have figured it out if I didn't go onto the website.

If you still have version 1.3, update to 1.4 now from the site!

I have used 1.3 for ages, and was just updating the detection rules as normal by getting the program to do it automatically, and scanned a few minutes before downloading 1.4 after realising there was one, and the program didnt update that.

It turns out that when using 1.3 with the new rules downloaded automatically using the program, it doesn't neccessarily search for them!

I just downloaded 1.4 with the rules I had downloaded with 1.3, and got 60 items!!!

So everyone with an earlier version, update from the site now :)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

I've just stickied this so people know.
I'll unsticky it in a while :)

I think this is rather important, if its a threat :p

lol, I found out ages ago.

1.3 also has the 'DSO Exploit' bug, so it's definitely critical to upgrade to 1.4 asap.

Yeah, i've had 1.3 for ages when 1.4 might have been out.

Weird though that on 1.3, when it downloaded updated for me, it mustn't have been scanning the new spywares, until I updated the program itself.... scary.

lol, Spybot isn't really the most professional of programs, so I guess that's the reason.

It's still a good program of course, just you can't rely on it.

Kage said:
Hey,

I have just figured out something with spybot, and I wouldn't have figured it out if I didn't go onto the website.

If you still have version 1.3, update to 1.4 now from the site!

I have used 1.3 for ages, and was just updating the detection rules as normal by getting the program to do it automatically, and scanned a few minutes before downloading 1.4 after realising there was one, and the program didnt update that.

It turns out that when using 1.3 with the new rules downloaded automatically using the program, it doesn't neccessarily search for them!

I just downloaded 1.4 with the rules I had downloaded with 1.3, and got 60 items!!!

So everyone with an earlier version, update from the site now

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Thanks HEAPS Kage, thats pretty werid that tho, i was wondering this about the updates last month(i try to check programs etc if they have any updates each month at least) and it never ever found any for spybot..and you know whats even werider i did'nt have spybot 1.3 i had 1.2 :eek: bad bad bad..

I've unsticked this now. Anyone who needed to view it, would have done by now :p

Back
Top Bottom