Which Processor? - Interesting...

amanat69

In Runtime
Hi everyone,

System specs at present: 2.93 GHz P4 , Gigabyte 6800GT, 2 x 512 standard RAM (400mhz), 160gb hard disk, 775 mobo.

I am thinking of upgrading my processor and adding in another gig of RAM. People are telling me that the thing to get is a AMD 3500+, but, they also say that in 6 months it will just be the 'norm'. Therefore, I have heard talk about getting a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache. People say that this will last me a good few years, and as I am a gamer, it will last for games that come out for at least, the next two years. Is this true? Will it work well with the new Windows that is coming out next year?

Also, is it worth the money if I have it? And will I see a huge improvement?

Lastly, anyone know a good motherboard I can get to be compatible with my specs and this processor?

I would really appreciate it if someone answered these questions .

Many thanks,

Amanat, 19/M/Uk

You computer is pretty good as it is. However, if you really want to play games in the future, I would say either go for the X2 or wait until the M2 socket comes out. If you get the X2, you'll definetely have great gaming performace because nVidia has beta drivers that utilize both cores for gaming. Better two graphics cards than one, no?

If you wait for the M2, you can use DDR2 RAM, and since the latencies are constantly improving on DDR2, it will probably be better. However, DDR2 RAM is also a bit more costly, and you would have to buy 2GB instead of 1GB.

Hmm, you can get any motherboard from ASUS, Abit, or MSI. All of them have good boards with plenty of features and some great overclockability. However, a board can't support both AMD and Intel, because of the different socket types.

the amd x2 series are very good processors. Though atm single cores (amd fx series being the best) are better for gaming. There is only 1 game out that supports dual core processing. (F.E.A.R).

But in the future games will start to take full advantage of having a dual core processor. Looking in to the future a dual core is an exellent choise. Technology advances so fast that it's hard to say how long it will last u.
The processor should be 100% compatible with Windows Vista.

And yes another gb of ram would be good too.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Some guy told me that I should get a 3500+ instead of the 4400+ I'm looking at. He is saying that amd 64's are better than the X2s. Why is this :s?

amanat69 said:
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

Some guy told me that I should get a 3500+ instead of the 4400+ I'm looking at. He is saying that amd 64's are better than the X2s. Why is this :s?

I seriously don't know.
x2 being a dual core makes it way better in multi-tasking. And as I said soon games will take full advantage of dual cores processors and then it will be better at gaming too. I believe that the x2 also fully supports 64-bit software, therefore matching the amd 64's in the future too.

Erm...that guy's is partly right. If you get an actual 3800+, you'd be more comfy than the 3800+ from the X2. These speeds are different. your 4400+ will do better. This is all about a Socket issue. If you wait til the Socket M2 to come out, Your AMD 4 X2 will pwn your 3500+. I even think there will be a 5000+ coming out too

So what shall i do? Buy a amd 4 x2 and a 939 socket and wait till m2 comes out and replace the mobo and keep the processor. Or, just wait till m2 and stick with my crappy 2.93 ghz p4 lol.

I'd just wait till the m2 comes out. With ur current system u can play any games u like with good graphics and FPS so there is no hurry in upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom