Couple of Questions

I just checked it on my cellphone and I get 3 bars out of 5. I do have a 2.4 GHz phone so i hope that doesn't mess it up. So have you ever lost a conection or does the wireless work good for you. Now say if I am downloading something and I am away and I lose the connection will it reconnect?

Wireless network works great most of the time. My household, we have 3 2.4GHz phones. My network is running wireless and it works very good. Even when it does drop off, it will reconnect or you can click Refresh to get the page to load again. If it comes to the worst, reboot the router then your signal will come back. Most of the time, you shouldn't have any problems. Make sure your wireless router is evenly laid out across your PCs paths. The computer layout in our house is all the PCs are on the left side of the house so I centralize the router around there. Another thing, people can piggyback off of your network. I have a wireless laptop and every once in awhile, it would detect mulitple access points from my neighbors. Their network name would show up in my network conrol panel, lol. I can use their internet without them knowing. So make sure you setup filters when you do get it going.

So when you say make sure your wireless router is evenly laid out across your PCs paths, what do you mean? Should i put the wireless router and modem at the faster computer and put the wireless card on the slower computer, or will there be a big difference?

Let's say majority of your PC is downstairs. You wouldn't want to stick the wireless router upstairs. The closer the router is to your PC, the better. If you have one PC on the far left side of the house and the other PC is on the far right, you need to place the router in between for maximum connectivity. Not that it wouldn't work because they have signals that can be reached across the street.

I have my computer upstairs right now, and I am going to be putting the second one downstairs. I would saying going straight it is about 10-15 feet away. I am just going to leave the router at the upstairs computer and put the card at the downstairs computer. That should be pretty safe? One more question what do all those letters mean eg, B,D,G.

It should work fine. The 802.11b was the old wireless protocol used. The newer one is the 802.11g and I guess it's faster. Routers that advertise the 802.11b/g means that it supports both standards. Don't know what the D is.

Your welcome. I'm no guru at networking though, but setting up a small home network shouldn't be that hard either. It's actually quite fun, like building a PC.

Back
Top Bottom