Couple of Questions

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
Hey,

I am going out to buy some computer parts tommorow and I just got a couple of questions.

1) Should I go with a pci-e or agp graphics card?

2)I have 1 computer at the moment and it has a wireless D-link router. It I get a G-link wireless ethernet card with it work with the D-link router?

Thanks

So the only difference between the PCI-e and agp is speed right. And what do you mean by protocol? I had someone set up my internet so i have no idea how it is set up and stuff.

New routers and network card uses wireless IEEE 802.11b/g. Make sure they support each other there. PCI-e uses a completety different slot that is not compatible with AGP. It is also twice as fast as AGP with a lot of potential to be better. It's new technology so it's growing.

Check out how cool this adapter is:

Weekend Sale, Expires 10/31/05
D-Link DWL-G122 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127151#DetailSpecs

OK so my router is a 802.11g/2.4Ghz so just make sure that the g-link supports that. And by the way I am going to get a NX6600 GT 128mb. Is this a good card for playing games, like HL2, DOOM 3 ect. One last thing. In front of the card it says MSI. What does that mean?

That's a very good card. I have the exact same one. MSI is the manufacturer that makes it. They use the nvidia chipset which OWNS. That card will do an excellent job in Doom 3 and all the newest games out there. I have those games and work flawlessly. Do you have an AGP slot or a PCI-ex16 slot?

As far as the wireless adapter goes, yes, make sure it supports the 802.11g operating at 2.4GHz. There should be no compatibility problems there.

Actually I am building a new computer. My old one sucks bad. It is about 6 years old. It gots a p2 400MHz, 256 ram. It is sad. I see now that you do have the same card. But in you sig you forgot to put the nx part.

I just summarized that part. I didn't think it was too important to put that in there. If you're going for a new build, defintely get a motherboard that supports PCI-e. The MSI video card also can be overclocked easily. It's a terrific little card for just about anything and for the price, it can't be beat.

I was talking to some people and they said that wireless internet isn't very good becuase you can lose the connection easily. Is this true?

Well, yes. It's like a cell phone. Some of my friends live in Chino Hills California (lots of hills and terrain) and signal there sucks bad for everything wireless. I would go online at my friends house and boom, connection gets dropped. I have virtually no signal on my cell phone either. It depends on your location too. If you have a cell phone and get good reception in your house, you should get a pretty clear signal with your wireless network too. I have a Linksys wireless network here that I am running off of and my network never drops. In fact, my signal is always reading "Excellent".

Sometimes, your wireless telephone at home can disrupt your signal also. Both use the same 2.4GHz frequency. That is why some people alter their router and network card to operate a higher frequency or buy a new 5.8GHz phone.

Back
Top Bottom