A question on Pentium M's

Prescotts can overclock like hell, but they're inefficient. The Northwood and Gallatin cores were the ownage.

Nah, Prescotts are pointless. Who wants a CPU that needs a fridge to cool it?

I don't buy processors to overclock them either, so I'd rather just go for a Pentium M, and be happy that I have a good processor, not a lousy Pentium D or sumin like that.

Prescotts can still be good...you just need good cooling. Pentium 4's have always been known as extreme overclockers. You can get more than 1ghz of additional speed if you use a adequate heatsink and fan. Also, Socket 775 a.k.a. LGA (Land Grid Array) isn't bad either. It's rather unique. And no, the pins on the socket are just as vulnerable as pins on a processor like ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) sockets.

Well, I guess it is just a matter of opinion. Personally, I find really low-power systems irresistable. Low-power, saving on the energy bills, quiet, cool, and adequate for my needs.

Yes, I know, I have an Athlon 64 2800+, but this machine was bought early this year, when there weren't really any cheap choices for desktops, which offered better performance than my Athlon 1.1GHz which I was using at the time.

Lac3y said:
Are Pentium M's calculated diiferently to Pentium 4's?

I had a laptop that is a year old that cost around £900 and it was Pentium 4 2.6Ghz.

Howvever, Now all I can find are Pentium M's and they seem to be lower speeds but higher prices (example 1.86GHz Pentium M 750 for £1000).

Sorry if this sounds stupid but a computer guy I ain't.

In laptops, that is one of the best configured laptops. That particular Pentium is top of the line in mobile CPU.

Well, it's up there in the ranks of Centrino processors. He was getting confused as to why the Pentium M was lower clocked and more expensive than a Pentium 4 processor.

Eh? The 750? An ideal laptop imo, would be something like this:

12.1" Widescreen Glossy Monitor
12-Cell Battery
Pentium M 780 (2.26GHz) or VIA C7-M 795 (2GHz Internal Clock, 533MHz External)
2GB Dual-Channel DDR2-533 SDRAM
100GB SATA 7,200rpm HDD
nVidia GeForce Go 7800GTX

ownage said:
i thought the top of the line was 770 @ 2.16Ghz.

The Pentium M 770 WAS top-of-the-line, but now they came out with the new 780. It's 2.26ghz. Dothan core, of course ;)

Back
Top Bottom