blue screen of death

cybertech

Solid State Member
can someone please tell me what keeps causing this problem when playing games or when the computer has been on for a while this is my computer equipment setup below.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600

processor

1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

motherboard

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V333 REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V333 ACPI BIOS Revision 1006A

memory

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DDR 1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DDR 2' has 256 MB
Slot 'DDR 3' is Empty

display

ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV
LGE Flatron915FT

multmedia

ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
ATI WDM Teletext Decoder
ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
ATI WDM TV Tuner
Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy

What is the error that it logs, if it just flashes really fast go into control panel
click on system, then the advanced tab, then start up and recovery, then uncheck the box automatically restart.

Try memtest utility . Should be on the web somewhere. Another thing to try is to move your RAM from slot 2 to slot 3.

What settings do you have for virtual memory in XP? Move the sound card ideally 3 slots from the graphics card or 2 slots if that's not possible. IRQ conflicts can arise if the card is directly below the Graphics card. Make sure onboard audio is off in the BIOS if you have a plugin soundcard.

Check to make sure that your RAM is running at the correct speeds. What type of memory are you using? Check to make sure that the timings are correct in the BIOS. It should be set to "by SPD". The RAM FSB should also ideally be set to the same level as the CPU FSB. What make is the CPU? Is it an Athlon XP 2000+? If so then the RAM FSB should be capable of and set to 133MHz.

Clearing the virtual memory and setting up a new one may eliminate the problem. It's advisable to set it to a fixed value of 1024MB.

http://www.memtest86.com/

1. DL
2. RUN the program, the program will create a bootable floppy
3. boot the pc from the floppy
4. do not look at the floppy in windows, for it is linux and windows will not like that and windows will get mad and say there is nothing on the diskette and then plead with you to let it reformat the diskette.
5. if you do not have a floppy like a lot of new pc's, down the page is a cd image file that can be burnt to a cd.

Make sure your pc is not overheating...all the vents clear, processor fan spins freely. processor heat sink not clogged with dust. check the ram
DL the diag tool from your hard drive manufacturer
If it is not those more than likely I would do an inplace install, but thats just me. Inplace install replaces all your system files and leaves your data, also resets your SAM and you will need your cd key and I think it resets WPAEVENTS\ OOBE TIMER HKLM of the reg so you will have to reactivate.
If you do not know what your cd key is here is a tool that will find it

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

inplace install, not to be confussed with the recovery console, back up critical data just in case, boot from your xp cd , do just like you are installing xp for the first time in the text mode part of install. When the cd finds the current xp partition , do the " R " option , repair.

Back
Top Bottom