Whats The Best Operating system for.....

alexpattison

Baseband Member
does anyone know the best operating system for a computer with the following spec:

333mhz intel celeron prossesor
(66mhz Bus Speed)

128mb ram

8mb graphics card

(thats all i know plz help ) :confused:

You could probably get Windows XP on there, but it might not run smoothly. If not, go with Windows 98. Also, you could try Linux. It takes a lot less system resources than Windows, so it might be better. It just depends on how badly you want Windows.

Well, there are tons of Linux distros as I'm sure you know. You just have to find one you like. I don't know much about any of them myself.

You could try Gentoo. It's a version of Linux that has to be compiled from scratch, and it optimises itself for your system as it compiles, so it'll always give you the max performance your system can give you.

As spank_fusion said, you probably could get XP to run on that machine, but you'd probably find yourself using the Windows Classic theme and turning off all the eye-candy, and it would still be deathly slow. Try Windows 2000, it runs like lightning on practically anything,

Well I had XP on a 400MHz AMD K6-2 with little trouble. It even used the default XP theme. It ran quite well. Still, it's probably not the best option for you.

yer i might try xp then if i find its too slow i will put gentoo or win 2000

also what would be best gentoo or win 2000

Back
Top Bottom