Amd X2 vs Pentium D

niceties55

Daemon Poster
What is a better chip, The AMD 2X dual core or the Pentium D Dual Core (assuming they both are the same GHz)

The AMD X2 by far, AMD processors do 9 IPC (instructions per clock) while Intel does 6, if they have the same clock speed, AMD would do more by far. But right now, AMD is better for the dual core platform, but we will see when Intel releases Conroe :D

I also heard that Intel just threw together their dual core processor to compete with AMD's, and it really isn't that stable. They seem to be focusing more on their quad cores coming out soon.

The Pentium D is a sloppy processor. All they did was slap two Prescott cores together and slaved them with a logics controller. Ugh.

AMD on the other hand, designed the Athlon 64 cores to be dual-core compatible, therefore ensuring that it is future-proof. The two cores acutally work together instead of having a logics controller (like the Pentium D) do most of the work which also means that it slows down.

I have my self, the Intel D in (or should I say "on") my computer. Now, IMHO, it runs quite nicely. I have expirenced no heating issues (Because of the HUGE heatsink). I've had no freezes so far, and nothing has crashed, but that my be my luck

The D was put together really just to compete with the x2's, as said earlier. They rushed the production of the d's. It's an ok cpu, the D, for normal things and some advanced things, but, really, in the field of gaming, etc. amd pulls ahead by far...

Mr. F said:
I have my self, the Intel D in (or should I say "on") my computer. Now, IMHO, it runs quite nicely. I have expirenced no heating issues (Because of the HUGE heatsink). I've had no freezes so far, and nothing has crashed, but that my be my luck

Well they wouldn't design it to crash or anything. Then Intel would have a BIG, BIG problem. :p I meant that it's just not as efficient because the design isn't that great.

Haha, I think it's mostly because not everyone has seen this thread yet...

Back
Top Bottom