dual core processors

torment1979

Baseband Member
here's my question: What is the best mobo/cpu combo for dual core processors? I want a good gaming system, the mobo I like and always use are ASUS. I don't care if its AMD or Intel, I just need some opinions to help me decide what to do. And yes I will be overclocking this system. Also is there any AGP boards out there that support dual core?

[font=&quot]Amd is the best. Asus is good, indeed. The asus k8n slim obo, I think it is, is one heck of a mobo. I know of no agp dual core mobo, and you really don't want to get one, trust me. Agp is really old. You can overclock any system as long as the cooling is good enough and the bios isn't locked. Also if you know what you're doing. [/font]

AGP is old, but it's good. PCI-E isn't fully used and AGP is much more affordable.

What about if you don't play games? I get by fine with my GeForce MX420 64MB PCI card. I even manage to play some less-demanding games with it.

True. Even so, AGP's 8x bandwidth isn't even fully used, and much more can be said about PCI-E's 16x.

Yeah, I remember hearing something about that; is it something to do with PCI and PCI-e being similar or sharing the same bus?

Not sure. I do know that games today don't completely use the bandwidth of PCI-E.

alvino said:
True. Even so, AGP's 8x bandwidth isn't even fully used, and much more can be said about PCI-E's 16x.

That is so wierd though. Why in the world can we jump from 8x to 16x if AGP wasn't even used at its full potential? I guess it's nice to have extra bandwidth available...

It is. Games don't use THAT much bandwidth. That's why the 16x isn't really helpful when it comes to games (but it's not a disadvantage though).

Back
Top Bottom