How can I find out if anyone is stealing my wireless internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wep is the encrypting security for the wireless signal. basically when someone else tries to connect they can't, because they will have to have a wep key, which they will get from you. I'm thinking that you will have to adjust the other computers on your network and put the wep key in.

I got a better idea, I use it in my University halls (I'm not paying for everybodys interent).

Most routers have the ability to allow access to it from only a list of certain MAC addresses. Considering this is on a hardware level, below IP address and that sorts, it would make sense to only allow the 5 MAC addresses of your wireless network adapters in you computers to be allowed to connect to the router. I have done this. The effect is that it blocks all adapters other than is allowed on the MAC address list from getting any response from the router, even stopping other computers from detecting that a wireless network is present in some cases.

If your router supports only allowing certain MAC addresses you can find out the MAC addresses of all your adapters usually from the properties page in the device manager in each computer. Then if you want to, apply other encryption methods, but really there should be no need, as no other adapters will be able to comunicate with the router on a hardware (therefore on any other level, protocol and software) level. Like Fort Knoxs.

If you're worried about the 6th address on the router you could check all the addesses on the computers and see if they match. Also check the routers address to see if it's teh 6th.

Go here: http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di524_revc/h_dhcp.html

In the DHCP Server section, Only enter the range for your network. For example my IP range is 192.168.0.124-126 (The last octet determines how many IPs to give out to the network) I have three computers, so I put 124 for the starting ip and put 126 for the ending ip... That way, no more than three computers can gain access to my internet. You should also put a password on the router config page so they wont change the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom