Is This Normal??

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
OK, so i have just tried to set up some wireless security on my router.
i have one into the router and set the security to WEP. I had to enter a key e.g AAAAAAAAAA, 10 digits for 64 bit security.
anyway, i get my laptop out switch it on and BINGO, i have a wireless connection. i looked at the conection propertys and it says that i am on a UNSECURE wireless network!! how can this be if i have set up security? i would have thought that i would have to enter the encryption key somewher i.e AAAAAAAAAA??

WOZ

are you sure its connecting to your ssid? you could be connecting to your neighbours wireless connection which may be unsecured and it could of automatically connected to that because there is no wep encyrption needed to connect?

no, i did a search for wireless connections available to my laptop and only the 1 showed up.
woz

should i have the authentication type set to,
1)open
2)shared
3)both
these are the options?
woz

but can you access any of the network functions such as the internet or any files shared on the network because sometimes windows says you are connected when you really arent and cant access the internet and it will soon change to limited or no connection. if this isnt the case i suggest you get back onto that router and sort yout wep encryption out because you may have not initiated it

its going to have to be the problem at the router changing any settings on windows on how it connects to the router wont change the router settings so you will have to connect back to the router and trying to set up your wep encryption again. also what router are you using?

sorry didnt read tht but yer as i said you will have to go back to your router and set it up again well this is what i no of its happened to me before just invalid wep encryption i typed in and assumed it would work just little things like that so it will have to be the router which you will have to config again or you could see what other peopel have to say but i dont no what they would have to say i mean if there is no prompt for you to type a wep encryption key then it must not be configured on the router correctly

yeh, that makes sense.
i have tried to set it three or four times now with no joy.
myrouter.jpg

this is my wep set up page.
i dont think it will turn out to clear but here goes.
woz

Back
Top Bottom