The Pentium M 725A?

acphenom

Daemon Poster
I saw a laptop available with this CPU on hp.com, apparently compatible with DDR2 RAM.

I was just wondering, is this true, or does HP automatically give DDR modules for this choice and only DDR2 for the 533MHz PM's?

Also, the Celeron M appears to be compatible with DDR2, which I was quite surprised by. Does anyone know what is up with this?

It depends on the chipset. The recent 915PM Express Chipset from Intel supports DDR2, PCI-E and Serial ATA.

SIS's chipsets are good for budget, but I prefer ULi's chipsets in that case.

So basically, the 725A is just one of the 21W TDP PM's only that it supports DDR2 if paired with a 915 chipset?

well, if HP sells the computer, then it has to be compatable. The memory controller for the Pentium M's and the chipset both have to support DDR2. But personaly, i would get a 7x0 Pentium M.

720? I only know 725A and 730. So the 'A' would represent its compatibility with DDR2, right?

ownage said:
well, if HP sells the computer, then it has to be compatable. The memory controller for the Pentium M's and the chipset both have to support DDR2. But personaly, i would get a 7x0 Pentium M.

That's not exactly true. It may be compatible, but it won't necessarily give you the full effect of DDR2 memory.
I work at my university, and companies like HP, DELL, and Gateway will send you computers with bad combinations, because they think you don't know any better.
DELL will ship computers with 4GB of DDR2 ram, even though the processor will not utilize it, and windows only supports up to 3.25GB.
Try not to make any assumptions when dealing with big companies like this.

Want a free computer?
<deleted spam link>

im not saying like they limit the RAM, im saying that it will work fine and it wont crash or anything.

Back
Top Bottom