Static IP addresses

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
How do I assign static IP addresses to each of the two computers on my network? They change every once in a while and I don't know why...I have a linksys wireless G router.

Tommy Boy,

Here's a c&p from linksys, which basically explains how to set static ip addresses on your Windows pc behind a router. You can use an address in the range the dhcp server in the router is deploying. For example ... if your range is 192.168.1.100-150, with the address of the router (default gateway) being 192.168.1.1, you can manually set your ip address on your windows pc with IP Address 192.168.1.105, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, dns server 192.168.1.1. Here's the cut & paste:
Windows 2000/XP

1. Click on the Start menu, and then click on the Run option.
2. When the “Run” window appears, input control ncpa.cpl into the “Open” field.
3. After the “Network and Dial up Connections” or “Network Connections” window opens, right click on the Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection which controls the connection to the router.
4. After the “Local Area Connection Properties” or the “Windows Network Connection Properties” window appears, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click on the Properties button.
5. Once the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties” window opens, change the option from “Obtain an IP address automatically” to Use the following IP address. Set the options under “Use the following IP address” and “Use the following DNS server addresses” to the following:

IP: 192.168.1.20 (If there are multiple computers being setup with static IP's, then the next computer would be .25, and next would be .30, etc)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1

6. Click OK then OK or Close.

There is another way to do this. Here's what I've done. In my router (Buffalo WBR-54G) there is a place you can manually assign an ip address to always go to a specific MAC address ... therefore preventing another pc from being assigned that IP address. The reason I did this, is so that I could also specify that my computer (and ONLY my computer) can access the router to configure it. Just another security precaution. Im not sure if Linksys routers have this option ... but it would be worth exploring. Hope this helped answer your question.

yes....thank you very much.....I just did that (the first one you explained) and it worked just great. I'm going to do it on my other computer now. I didn't even think that it was a windows option, I thought it was in the router. I'm not sure about the mac address thing with my linksys, I had to clone my mac address.

Back
Top Bottom