Computer becoming slow...must.. OVERCLOCK!

Zaki

Daemon Poster
hi i have a pentium4 2.4 Ghz Northwood processor running on an asus p4c800 e deluxe board, with one gig of crucial ddr ram. I have like four virus scans running all the time, and the computer is becoming slower than it should be. So my question is how do i OC a CPU? i am a complete beginner when it comes to ocing but i know my hardware otherwise. So any tips, tutorials, how-tos would really be appreciated. thanks!

btw: has anybody here noticed their computer become slow after installing ad-aware se professional?

"I have like four virus scans running all the time, and the computer is becoming slower than it should be"

Its not built to multitask. Turn off some of the scanning. You don't need that many.

I'm sorry, I can't help with overclocking though. I've wanted to do it to my CPU, yet my stock heatsink and fan won't take it... goes straight to 60+ degrees C if I overclock even slightly while doing something that takes omph.

well. to overclock basically you go in to the BIOS of your computer and raise the FSB (front side bus) speed and the multiplier. But, you need to know what brand of ram you have so you know how much you can overclock accordingly. for example, if you have something like corsair value ram, which is very good ram, it just doesn't allow you to overclock much because it's not low latency ram. If you want to get a stable overclock you have to have overclocking ram or else your computer will be unstable and crashing all the time.

first off, a northwood is very good and ocing. Especially on a P4c800e deluxe. Northwoods hit a wall at ~3.9Ghz, but i doubt you will go that high, just some good info to know. Make you you get a good heatsink and fan with good airflow in your case. I would recommend a Thermalright SI-120 with a Triblade delta (high speed of course) or a Scythe Ninja with the same fan as the SI-120, if you want quietness, a Zalman 7700 will do nicely but you sacrafice some speed for that. If you dont like delta's, get some Panaflo's. Make sure they are 120x38mm not 120x25mm because the 120x38mm ones have more pressure.

BIOS should do the trick really... just make sure you overclock the memory to a corressponding level so that it's stable.

thanks a lot guys, great knowledge to know.
so basically the two corresponding items ought to be the ram's speed and the cpu's speed and fsb? is there any other component i ought to worry about, what about the power supply, i have a 450 watts antec true power.

That's a good psu alright. Just make sure your cooling is good enough and that you don't push your cpu and others too high and fry the components. THat would be bad... lol...

btw... if I've helped you in anyway, please click on that wireless router image under my name and add to my reputation... thanks!

i have one fan in the front bottom of the case, one on the side door, two in the back next to the mother board panel, and the other two belong to the psu. Do i still need more cooling, my system runs at 30-40 C right now.

Back
Top Bottom