My all new parts desktop blue error screen at XP installation (please help)

terrynad

Solid State Member
I bought all new parts for a desktop computer, put it all together and put the windows xp professional cd. It starts with the IDE scan and detects the drives. After a 20 sec pause, it detects the windows cd in the drive and starts to load the windows files. 5-10 min later, I get a blue error screen. The error says that widows was stoped to prevent damage to my computer (error 000000...7B) and other stuff like possible virus or damaged hard drive. If I restart and start again, it goes to a black screen with a small blinking white dash right after the IDE scan. It never goes to the windows installation again. I went back to the store and replaced the hard drive with a different brand and the same thing happened all over again. Now, I'm just staring at a black screen with a small blinking white dash. I wasted a lot of time picking and putting all the parts together and getting help from friends for nothing :(. Please help if you have an idea what part is messing up.

Well for starters, i would make shure all IDE connections are secure and correctly in their right order. after that i would put in the Xp cd with the driver's on it.

Next boot into bios and have it be the 1st boot in the boot order, then when the cd loads delete any partition that is on the hhd.

Then make a new one, then do a Restore using the cd's , not just a automated install, but a system restore using the option that is on the cd.

By going that route, you should be able to resolve this.

If you're willing to spend a little more time with this ... would you be willing to list all your computer components that you're working with in your build? Perhaps there is a compatibility issue at play here. My first thought is that perhaps your memory is faulty or incompatible with your motherboard. Or your processor is installed incorrectly or faulty. Or maybe you have a faulty motherboard.

Do you have the ability to place your hard drive in another machine and try to format and load XP on it? How about testing your memory in another pc ... same with the processor. I know not everyone has the luxury of having a 2nd pc to test things out, but if a friend is willing to work with you and has a machine capable of working with your components ... you might be able to narrow it down to where the problem is.

BSODs are usually caused by some sort of hardware issue. A lot of times it's the RAM. Try a different set of RAM to see if that fixes it. Your particular BSOD sounds more like a hard drive issue though. Try using a different one of those, too. Also, since it's a new drive, make sure you're doing a full format instead of a quick format when installing.

Thanks for the reply guys. The problem was solved by taking out the hard drive and installing windows on it on a different computer, then putting it back in my computer. It worked. I have no idea what the problem was, but I noticed later that the hard drive has 130 GB instead of 300 GB as it's supposed to have..... I was happy to finally fix the problem so I didn't care much about this. Not sure what happened.

Can you now go into computer management and format the remaining 170gb of hard drive? Right-click My Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management

If there is 170 gb or so left over from your install, then it should be colored black indicating it hasnt been formatted yet. Just right click in the 170 gb area and select format and follow the steps. I wouldnt be happy with only 130 gb of my 300 gb drive working. :)

CrossCech said:
Can you now go into computer management and format the remaining 170gb of hard drive? Right-click My Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management

If there is 170 gb or so left over from your install, then it should be colored black indicating it hasnt been formatted yet. Just right click in the 170 gb area and select format and follow the steps. I wouldnt be happy with only 130 gb of my 300 gb drive working. :)

Thanks a lot man :). I completely missed that portion of the HDD. It is being formatted right now :)

Your welcome! There's times when I forget to do some things during an install. Glad to help!

Still curious as to why you were forced to use another pc to install your XP OS on your hard drive. Perhaps you might consider checking your mobo manufacturer's website for a BIOS update and install it. There may have been some known issues with IDE channels. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom